Site Speed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on site loading times please :)

I've made some upgrades to PHP & MySQL, as well as some other tweaks to the server load.

However, I tend to only be on the site during the UK daytime, so I was wondering readers from other continents find the site speed - is it ok?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Fast. Sometimes it lags a bit - but that's either IE9 or my Internet.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's good to know :D

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
By the way, what server do you use?
Nginx on Linux is super fast, light and powerful.

I use Apache though - much simpler to use.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
By the way, what server do you use?
Nginx on Linux is super fast, light and powerful.

I use Apache though - much simpler to use.
It's Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (IIS 7.5) - I've used Linux/Apache in the past, but I prefer IIS for the GUI and ease of management. Plus, it wouldn't look too good running a Windows 7 forum on Linux :lol:.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
It's Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (IIS 7.5) - I've used Linux/Apache in the past, but I prefer IIS for the GUI and ease of management. Plus, it wouldn't look too good running a Windows 7 forum on Linux .
I guess so :D
Though (no offense) Windows Server has to be the most unefficient (loads of the ressources are used on the GUI), most expensive (yes, you have to pay for everything), and unsafe server :)

Though, running a Windows 7 forum on Linux wouldn't look too good, as you said! :lol:

Oh, and all you need to do in Linux to update everything is type a simple apt command :p

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Speed is very good. No issues here on Planet GONG!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Excellent. It performs well, compared to other forum sites, and in most cases surpasses them. (IE8: IE9: Firefox)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No problems at all when I log onto and use the site. In fact, it's faster than other sites that I use.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Ian. It's really good to have a dependable site to go to when we need help, or just browse around the tutorials (I use them a lot).

Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, the forum takes a LOT of time to load for me. It's plain slow for me now.

And it ain't on my side - I'm member on other (image-heavy) forums that load in a blink!

Reaction score
Actually, the forum takes a LOT of time to load for me. It's plain slow for me now.

And it ain't on my side - I'm member on other (image-heavy) forums that load in a blink!
You have a dns issue.

Open your router and set the preferred dns to be the quickest one that the app in my attachment finds, then save.

Attachments

Reaction score
Yes, but please forgive me. If I listened to everything that I've been told....

I offered you a perfect way to speed up your dns queries, no matter how fast they are now. You'd definitely benefit from following the advice, regardless of anything else.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DNS is not "on your side", it is between your phone and the forum servers. You could get one address extremely quickly and have others that are slow or even blocked. A different DNS host may give different results.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What do you get if you ping the site, or come directly here using the IP address (75.126.242.38)
My response time is 136ms
I had your problem on another site and found after investigation, that my ISP (don't ask why!) was routing through another very slow host to that particular site.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For me this site loads VERY fast! Much better than several of the other Windows 7 forum sites.

Ask a Question