OS hiding true file pathways

Reaction score
Two recent incidents in W7 have me wondering if the OS got over-engineered:

1) I saved an iso image to the C drive and it disappeared. The app that created it could see it but not the operating system/explorer. I was able to delete it through the app, luckily. I can imagine a scenario where you could potentially fill an HD but not being able to do anything about it, changing the "view hidden files" setting had no effect.

2) Another app (CDex) created a pathway to save files to but when I went to that folder, there was nothing there. A search (and the new search function is horrible by the way) found the path to be-C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86), in a hidden folder AppData. Does the OS want to obscure the file locations because of some adgenda? DRM, or to make it more Apple-OS-like? I realize folder location is an abstraction but c'mon, give me my winXP back so I can FIND stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1) Sounds like an application bug or a virtual folder.

2) CDex has always done this. It's a poor application design, not a Windows issue. Windows XP does the same thing with CDex.

Reaction score
I know, I was quick to blame the apps too. But your mention of virtual folder may have hit upon it. What does W7 do with the folder C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\VirtualStore ?
Maybe these apps don't know how the OS uses this virtual location so reports another path. I'm trying to like this OS but clearly it's not all on the app. Does this sound familiar to anyone who had vista/software incompatibility? Maybe these apps need to be updated to be compatible.

Ask a Question