McAfee Firewall problem

Reaction score
While I agree with what "linuxdudex12" said HERE, I am currently experiencing a McAfee problem too.

When McAfee "takes over" my fire wall it refuses to apply any of my windows firewall inbound/outbound rules. There are programs that I want to restrict internet access from and no matter how many rules I apply to the specific program, it still allows access. However, once I disable Mcafee and the regular firewall returns, it sucessfully blocks the programs.
I am also extremely disappointed with Mcafee's lack of settings. I can even disable the firewall alone. Anyone have suggestions besides permanently deleting Mcafee?

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the McAfee you use has it's own firewall then you must apply any allow/disallow options in the McAfee product NOT in windows firewall. McAfee Internet Security & Total Security (not sure about A/V) disable Windows firewall to use their own so all those Windows settings are moot.

Here is a blurb from McAfee how to configure their personal firewall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your help but Mcafee is extremely stubborn. It will not allow the walk through. Since my issue isn't specifically with Mcafees control over my firewall. Do you know any other way to prevent a program from accessing the internet?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since my issue isn't specifically with Mcafees control over my firewall.
That's what a firewall does, blocks ports and controls access so you need a firewall you can use.

Do you know any other way to prevent a program from accessing the internet?
Don't run the program. Disconnect the LAN cable or disable the wireless. Probably not the ideas you wanted.

There is no reason to have a firewall you cannot control.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Thanks for your help but Mcafee is extremely stubborn. It will not allow the walk through. Since my issue isn't specifically with Mcafees control over my firewall. Do you know any other way to prevent a program from accessing the internet?
Just to be clear, McAfee uses it's own firewall, and disables the built-in Windows firewall while it is active. Any settings applied to the Windows firewall therefore won't apply to McAfee's own firewall.

If ya can't get McAfee to work for you, I'd suggest trying a different firewall provider as there are free alternatives out there. Personally, I just use Windows 7's own firewall and the hardware firewall built into my router.

Ask a Question