I got this error: "0x8007042B - 0x2000D migrate_data safe_os" when trying to upgrade to Win 10

Reaction score
Hi,

Any ideas what the problem could be? Someone online called this error the Windows 10 Anniversary Update Error. Does this mean that it is related to trying to get a free upgrade to Win 10? If so, that is not what I was trying to do. I purchased Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Microsoft and have the key. But when I ran Windows Creation Tool, it didn't ask for the key before it began downloading and installing Win 10. Does this indicate that it was trying to install a free update? I know that the free update is no longer available. Could this be the problem? (ie that somehow the installer is trying to do something that can't happen anymore?

Sorry for my ramblings. I am not really super-tech-savvy re: the nuances of Windows 7 and 10, and I may be asking the wrong question.

But if I am asking the wrong question, what is the right question? What can I do now to successfully upgrade to Win 10?

FYI: I already un-installed my anti-virus software. My computer is a Dell Optiplex 9020, with 8 GB of RAM and 212 GB of free space on my OS drive.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ask a Question