Change Windows 7 Product Key - Discussion

JMG

Reaction score
Key change from Windows 7 to Win XP

Hi all

I am looking to legalize some previous OS running under XP with the Windows 7 key

First does the Windows 7 key works with computers running on XP

Then what is the process to change with a Volume Licening keys all the XP running PC with the Windows7 key

Thank you in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking? Did you want to use the Windows 7 key for Windows XP? If so, that isn't possible.

Reaction score
Hello,

Currently I have Win 7 Premium installed and validated (#Key1). However,
I have purchase another license (#Key2) for my upcoming PC (which may take a while).

Can I change my current installed Win7 key to #Key2 and see whether it is genuine, then change back to #Key1 (on the same machine) without being blacklisted or anything?

The concern is since it take a while for 2nd PC, better to have a piece of mind that my second purchase is genuine as well.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes you can, just right click on computer icon and go to the bottom you'll see "Change Product Key". You can do that there to verify the second key.

Reaction score
Ok. But can I change it back to the first key without any of the key got blacklisted or anything.
Especially #key2 since later it will be put in another machine.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Ok. But can I change it back to the first key without any of the key got blacklisted or anything.
Especially #key2 since later it will be put in another machine.
Yes, you can change it back at anytime. You won't get blacklisted, don't worry about it.

MS gives you 10 activations each with the product keys, after that you just call them and they'll do a phone activation. You can also do resets too.

MS is not here to hinder or vilify, They want to be as helpful as possible,especially after the VISTA debacle.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Very well stated, Nibiru! Especially the last sentence of your post.

Reaction score
Great!

Actually the #Key2 is my friend's, he bought the win7 much earlier than his upcoming new PC ... donno when that will be ... :lol:

So he is bugging me to test whether his early "investment" is legit ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you are at all doubtful, why not partition and install a second copy of your own Windows 7, and see if it will accept the key? You will have a minor problem with the boot manager, when you decide to delete the second OS, but that is easily overcome with the install DVD.

Reaction score
Yep, that's my first initial plan ... but i notice win 7 have an option just to simply swap keys :) ...

Thanks guys.

Ask a Question