Windows Media Player File Glitch - Music Files Display as "0 Bytes" with Missing Information

Reaction score
Windows Media Player has lost almost all of the music file information it previously had. I have over 3,000 songs in my Music folder, which suddenly disappeared from WMP after a power glitch on my desktop. Now, WMP shows all files as "0 bytes" with no file information visible. While my playlists can still play, no albums or individual songs appear in WMP outside of what's listed in those playlists. Instead, there's a long list of unnamed and unplayable "0 bytes" files.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall WMP, but this hasn't resolved the issue. My music files are intact in the Music folder and function normally on other media devices. I can manually add songs or albums from the Music folder to the current playlist in WMP and play them successfully. However, WMP seems unable to display my music library properly or play it outside of the playlists. This means functions like shuffle are not available, and I must manually select and add each song to the playlist to play it.

Reaction score
Hey! That sounds super frustrating. Try rebuilding your WMP library by going to Tools > Advanced > Restore Media Library. If that doesn’t work, maybe use an alternative like VLC or MediaMonkey. Good luck!

Ask a Question