Windows Live Mail

Reaction score
Was working fine up until recently. Then, on opening and during the first email download, I'd get an error box (Sorry! I've forgotten the codes etc but is basically said the link with my provider was interrupted) and the mail stopped coming through. Trying again and again I might eventually get all my mails. Then my recipients reported either being unable to open my attachments or just getting pages of code. I contacted my provider (BTY) who took over my computer and having tried many fixes, eventually uninstalled WLM and reinstalled the latest version. All to no avail.

I Googles "WLM problems" and one Microsoft-looking site came in and after running some softwars located 6 or more error messages (corresponding with my previous error messages). They then hinted that a virus might be present and for a payment of £100 would clear it out and continue to monitor my computer for a year. Something similar happened when I Googled Norton, to see if a virus could have slipped through. I( was also offered a paid resolution. I finally abandoned WLM totally and am using BT Yahoo! Mail. I've had no problems at all since. Anyone experienced this?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
They then hinted that a virus might be present and for a payment of £100 would clear it out and continue to monitor my computer for a year.
This doesn't sound right to me. I hope you didn't provide them with any personal information.

Reaction score
This doesn't sound right to me. I hope you didn't provide them with any personal information.
Actually, I let them in and they located some problems. I gave out no personal details. Actually, I think they were legit companies who are associated with MS and Norton. I think they trouibleshoot for them professionally. They charge for the service. I did not accept any services. Thank you

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Okay. If you called them, and they didn't call you, then it's probably okay.

If they call you out of the blue, on the other hand, that's trouble.

There's also a trojan called Microsoft Security Center, or Windows Security Center, which is a fake antivirus. It will pretend to scan your computer, report viruses, and then offer a subscription to remove them, which is why I was concerned when you mentioned a "Microsoft-looking" site.

Reaction score
A million thanks Core. No! I definitely called them. Although I've been using BT Yahoo! Mail for my emails for the past forthnight, tonight, I decided to open WLM and, to my delight, all my emails dowmloaded with any error message. MS have just installed the latest batch of updates. I wonder if this has sorted out the problem? Once again, thank you.

Ask a Question