Windows 7 Problems

Reaction score
Dear All,
I have HP laptop dv6-6177 Core i7 which windows 7 has been installed on it. Unfortunately, more than 5 times when I turn on my Laptop there is an error :"Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files to prevent information loss and then contact the system administrator to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk".

Please help me to how can I fix this problem before lost my data.
Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most likely, your hard drive has S.M.A.R.T. technology and its' sensors are saying it is not operating properly. What it is telling you to do is to buy a new hard drive and transfer all your information to the new drive.

If your computer is still under warranty then contact HP to have them send you a new harddrive or they may tell you to send it back.

Besides replacing your internal harddrive, it would also be a good idea to buy an external harddrive and back-up your data to that. Regularly scheduled back-ups to an external harddrive are always a good idea for all computer owners.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Assuming you are not under warramty.
In the first instance, I would run chkdsk /f to see if it can isolate any bad patches.
If you have a recovery partition, or an original install disk or recovery disk, second choice would be to reformat the HD and reinstall.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the SMART technology is spitting out errors I wouldn't want it in my system.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Download a copy of HDTune Pro, it has a free 15 day trial and run it.

It has a S.M.A.R.T. disk checker and will give a thorough analysis of your current hard drive. It's a very helpful and informative program.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

HD Tune is a hard disk utility with many functions. It can be used to measure the drive's performance, scan for errors, check the health status (S.M.A.R.T.), securely erase all data and much more.

Try this and see what results you get back.

Ask a Question