SOLVED Windows 7 Home Premium

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well (Wierd... Nobody answered yet... ) it's all about the features.
Windows 7 Home Premium has features you would use at home (Media Center, etc..) while Windows 7 Professional has all the features of Win 7 Home Premium, as well as some you would need in a workplace (Virtual PC, Group policy editor, etc...).

The full list can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/versions.aspx

Um... Actually, that list isn't that full... I'll do some research. I've seen a better one before.

Edit: MEH! Clifford, you beat me :(

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
FC, it's the medals, they slow you down ... plus the jingling noise scares away your mouse dinner.

Michael, I personally went to Professional because I was migrating from XP and I knew I wanted the option to use Virtual PC - XP mode if any of my old programs had compatibility issues. Currently I use XP mode for two things: Microsoft Internet Hearts (which no longer comes with Windows) and a very old version of Paint Shop Pro (6.0 I believe) which I find easier to use than PSP X that I also have. There are other Virtual PC engines available, including free ones, but you have to own your own copy of XP to use them.

I'm also a registry tweaker and I like having the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc); everything the Group Policy Editor does can be done manually in the registry if you know the sections and keys to add but it isn't always easy to find those answers so if you do this then get PRO.

I have also started encrypting things like my resume and tax forms on my computer just in case somebody succeeds in stealing my files. There are other options for this but I have been using Bit Locker from W7 PRO.

The point is you need to decide for yourself if you need those features and generally whether you want to pay from $20 to $50 extra to buy them with a new computer or OS purchase or whether you will need them later and have to pay $80-$100 for the anytime upgrade.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My suggestion is, if you want Pro, wait until you purchase the computer to get it, if you're buying from a retail OEM (Dell, HP, Lenovo,etc.). The OEM's will burn you through the seat of your pants to install Pro, I've seen them for as much as $200 extra.

In the US, you can go to Windows Anytime Upgrade in the Start Menu, click onto it, Pro costs $89, Ultimate $139 (plus taxes). My upgrade to Pro cost less than $97 after taxes. It's a 10 minute process, your files stay the way they were, it'll reboot a time or two, and you're done.

I originally upgraded to Pro for the XP Mode, but since I have a retail copy of XP Pro, I use VirtualBox instead. I don't like the fact that Windows Virtual PC doesn't support Linux as much as VirtualBox does, either. Also, the guest additions of Windows Virtual PC won't work with Win 2K.

So while there's advantages to Pro (you get XP Pro SP3 in addition to Pro), I don't care for the "preconfigured" environment that it has. However, I concede that for those who needs it, it's a deal that's hard to beat.

I just don't think it's worth $200 extra for the OEM or the sales floor to install it for you. Educate your self on your options before buying, and plan it out, you'll save possibly $100 by doing so.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Small hijack here... what's with the frikkin' medals pertaining to Firecat??

Has his humility gone the inverse of the levels of his teen male testosterone?

Just curious... asked in another thread and never got an answer. Inquiring minds do want to know... ya know?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I know one of them is for "The first ever carrier of the Windows 7 Forum Medal of Honor" which to my knowledge was nominated, voted on, and won by only said member. So I'm guessing he awarded himself the second medal for humility in the face of laughter from his elders. :p

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
One medal alone doesn't look good :p Two is better.

And hey, I made those medals from scratch:D

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe you are wanting to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, when you place a Windows 7 link to a different site in your signature before you even post the first message.

Please forgive me if I am wrong. It's hard for me to see this differently

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
braidy, the file is over 3GB and it is worthless without a product key. Running full-out the download with your connection would take about 28hours. Use a download manager or you will probably never finish.

Ask a Question