Windows 7 Blue screen issue

Reaction score
I have an issue with a friends computer, it starts up and i log into Windows , what follows is this...

1) Avast 8 window pops up and says the computer is infected with a virus, and apparently he is running an outdated and free trial of the program. After waiting about 130 seconds I can continue with the windows loading process to see the desktop on my monitor.

2) A blue screen shows up causing a memory dump error which is on the screen for about 2 seconds before the computer restarts.

Now the way I figure it is yes I know he has a virus that has messed his computer up completely. The blue screen shows up every single time as soon as the Avast window, (before the desktop loads), goes through its 130 seconds of waiting before I can continue to the desktop. It starts to load and immediately a blue screen pops up and the process repeats.

My question is should I just go ahead and reinstall Windows 7 or is there some possible way to fix it or keep the desktop up long enough to run Combofix.exe which I've had luck with in the past? Any information as to what I should do would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Avast has always had a free version along with the paid version. Go to Avast's website and look for there av-uninstaller and download it. Run that in Safe Mode to remove the outdated version. That very well be what's causing the BSOD. After that either download the current version of Avast free or Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free. Don't install both of those. Only install one. 2 av programs conflict with each other. Also down load the free version of Malwarebytes for your friend install it and update it in Windowws (not in Safe Mode), then boot into Safe Mode and run a full scan with it and let it remove anything it finds.

Reaction score
It does the same blue screen as it does in Normal Windows Startup. Second though , i know the computer does have a virus that may be causing this to be happening since the same BSOD happens even when started in safe mode

Reaction score
Alright well since there really hasn't been to much response, ill probably just reinstall Windows 7 for him.

Reaction score
That would be an easier and quicker route. Just make sure all drivers and software are updated. For video cards, networking, chipset and audio drivers, download those from the manufacturer's website, not Windows/ Microsoft Update (Unless Microsoft is the hardware manufacturer. That's only likely for keyboards, mice, video camera or game controllers.

Reaction score
Try to start with en other OS, like ubuntu or something else on a stick. Run a virus scan on the HD, with eg clamav for linux. Many anti virus vendors offers boot CD's for removing virus. Try google free antivirus boot cd. I know f-secure has one.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
If, as wingthor says, you can get in through the "back door" download and run TDSSKiller. If you can get to safe mode, run it there.
OK, just seen post # 4 vor 5. No to safe mode.

In these cases I use Puppy Linux. c 250mb in size and a 5 minute learning curve/set up.

Last edited:

Ask a Question