Windows 7 Backup

Reaction score
We all know what happens when you try to backup(make image) to an External drive formated in 4k(4096). Error msg 0x8078002A with Backup Failure. Will MICROSOFT ever FIX Win 7 Backup to Accept Ext Drives formatted 4k??? I THINK, from what i've tested, backups are much faster this way. I tried (in USB3.0) copying a 66.9 G file to both types of drives. The 4k took 12 mins. The 512 took 21 minutes.

Reaction score
Win7 Backup

Not sure what you mean by "SOLVED". We know what needs to be done on Win7 Backup,however the problem remains. I had to buy some new hardware to "work around" the IMAGE failure problem with 4k drives.

Reaction score
Imaging onto > 2 TB Advance Format drives

Yes, I already updated my Win7 with Microsoft's compatibility upgrade to handle Advance Formats used by greater than 2 TB drives. But to no avail. File back ups work ok. But not system images.

So I thought of repartitioning my external 3 TB Hitachi into a 2 TB and 1 TB, and applying old NTFS formats rather than the Advance Format.

But somehow I can't figure out how to to so. The create partition / format window does not allow me to work on the large external G drive.

And also, even if successful, and Microsoft subsequently fixes its problems with Advance Format drives, would I be able to redo it and go back to Advance Format mode?

For the moment, I think I will just use Win 7 Back Up for backing up files; and just rely on Hitachi's included backup / image program for drive images.

Reaction score
Why not just get another external HD of 500 gig in size, they are cheap enough in today's market and put your backups on it.

Reaction score
Yes, that is a possibility. Thanks.

Under Vista, I liked to keep multiple versions of disk images, say 5 or more versions, by assigning them with a progressively increasing number and then using the oldest version to base off the next version. Actually, as many image versions as I can before running out of disk space.

I hope and assume this is also possible under Win 7 Ultimate ?

The idea is that if the system is corrupted by some infection, one can't really be sure how far back the infection was introduced these days with stealth malware often loading even before the regular boot loading.

Reaction score
How to Have Ext Hard drive Back up win 7 Image.

SWUZY -- I just purchased a device that allows you to insert a SATA bare drive (internal-formatted 512 Bytes/sector) in a carrier that fits in a 5.25 bay and you can insert or remove the SATA drive at will-- and buy more "Bare" Drives. Look it up on Staples "Hot swap Hard Drive Caddy". The basic problem with purchasing an Ext Hard Drive (DESKTOP TYPE) (Like I did, IOMEGA 2TB), IT IS FORMATED 4K. Any Bare Hard drive (Internal) is formatted 512 bytes/sector, and is what Win 7 Image and several other backup programs need, until they upgrade their software. When I found out that the 4k format of my Iomega was the problem, I purchased an ENCLOSURE and installed a 512 byte format internal hard drive. Works GREAT, and allows Image Backups in Win 7. I'M disappointed that no one in sales tells anybody when they buy an Ext HD, that the 4k format may be a problem with some programs that haven't updated to the "NEW" 4k format. Anyone involved in large Backup and moving to Big Ext HD's should be aware. There is not problem with "PORTABLE EXT HD'S, 'CAUSE THEY ARE FORMATTED 512. ONLY DESKTOP HD'S ARE AFFECTED

Reaction score
This why my External hard drives will be 2TB or less, you really do not need more than a 1 TB if it is only for backups, unless you want to keep a half of years worth of backups.

Reaction score
Hot swappable drives with 512 bytes / sector <= 2 TB are great suggestions.

Thanks Win7few22 and Super Sarge.

Reaction score
Wow. I navigated away twice and lost all my typed reply .... twice. The 2nd time I just hopped into a different tab window, and blank greeted on return to this tab.

Ugh.

I used Vista Ultimate and Win7 Ultimate. These have Image Backup and File Backup options. I manually schedule Image Backup and schedule automatic daily File Backup. Both variations do incremental adds.

I understand Windows versions below Professional and Ultimate levels might not have the Image Backup option.

Both types of backup folders are subject to Windows User Account Control. So even though my User login has Administrator rights, when I double click on them, it says "no entry."

I know I had / have difficulties there, but I may have found some process to tweak it online, because, I now just double click it a 2nd time and it allows me enter, rename, etc. I do not remember what steps, if any, I did to otherwise facilitate this.

If you are having difficulty with Windows infamous User Account Control, I did come across something recently that may help you.

PC Magazine has an utility called RAAC (Run As Administrator Controller). They charge $8 for ad hoc downloads, but if you pay for annual $20 subscription fee, you have free downloads from much of their very interesting, useful library. Just search for RAAC PC Magazine. Maybe it will help you,... if not for this particular problem, then maybe for other difficulties with UAC that may arise.

Cheers and good luck.

Reaction score
swuzy, I have Win 7 Home Premium, Win 7 Backup with IMAGES, but remember- only use 512 formatted drives, 4k formatted Ext Drives will FAIL in attempt to make image.

Ask a Question