SOLVED Windows 7 Backup question

Reaction score
I just recieved my external hard drive and have a question about Windows 7's Backup. I ran a Full Backup early this morning and used settings I chose. All I changed was the time for scheduled backups and put a check next to both my internal hard drives. I left everything else alone how Windows had it in the selection window. Will Windows automatically do incremental backups from now on with these settings or will I have to choose the option to let Windows decide ?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As long as you left the option to backup on, you should be fine. Unless you turned off backup reminders, if there's a problem, it should show up in the Action Center (that small white flag in the lower right corner). It'll remind you to set up a backup schedule.

I chose to hide the message, as I use another backup program that I monitor myself. However, it's good to see others who actually takes the time to backup. I can't stress enough how important that is.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows back-up does block updates - basically it isn't incremental but it only updates the portions that need updated. I run mine weekly and two weeks ago it ran something like 8-12 hours but this week it only took a half hour. I don't recall making so many changes so I don't know why the huge differences.

BTW this is not a clone of the harddrives, it is just the data; if the drive fails, the OS would need reinstalled as would all the software. Basically it backs up almost the same information as WET (Windows Easy Transfer) would to move data & settings to a fresh install.

EDIT: Well there is some sort of image thingy created though, so I don't know exactly. I do know it isn't a clone but I'm not sure how it would work in a restore situation after a drive failure, as I've never needed it.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Windows back-up does block updates - basically it isn't incremental but it only updates the portions that need updated. I run mine weekly and two weeks ago it ran something like 8-12 hours but this week it only took a half hour. I don't recall making so many changes so I don't know why the huge differences.

BTW this is not a clone of the harddrives, it is just the data; if the drive fails, the OS would need reinstalled as would all the software. Basically it backs up almost the same information as WET (Windows Easy Transfer) would to move data & settings to a fresh install.

EDIT: Well there is some sort of image thingy created though, so I don't know exactly. I do know it isn't a clone but I'm not sure how it would work in a restore situation after a drive failure, as I've never needed it.
It's been a long time ago, but I did my very first backup of this computer with the built in backup, and I recovered also. You can either burn the required disc to recover (as with any other backup program), or you can use the System Repair (or an install disc), and get to the System Image option to repair. I simply used the normal backup boot disc.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was a image taken when the backup was made. My only issue with the backup program was it's slowness. Nibiru introduced me to Macrium, and that was the end of that.

Cat

Reaction score
Solved. Thanks everyone. I left everything alone. Didn't turn off alerts, so I guess I should be good. Just need to make sure to remeber to turn drive on Sundays weekly.

Ask a Question