Windows 7 64bit to 32bit?

Reaction score
I have just had a new machine delivered and it is a quad core, 4gb ram MESH. It currently has Windows 7 64bit edition, however, the graphics card is integral to the motherboard and as an extra I had a TV card fitted. The picture on the tv keeps stopping and starting, so I wondered if this could be because it is running a 64bit edition rather than a 32bit. Many of my programs dont now work as they are designed for a 32bit machine? Can I load a spare edition of Windows 7 32bit and if so will it run better and will it automatically over ride the 64bit edition? Comments would be gratefully received. Paul

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Paul67

You can only have one version of Windoews 7 on your computer at a time unless you paid for 2 separate versions. Since you stated this was a new purchase, you might want to take the computer to whomever you purchased it from first to see if they can solve the problem. (Not that we can't help, but new purchased computers should work right away in my opinion and if not the seller should help or replace the unit for free)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Paul67

You can only have one version of Windoews 7 on your computer at a time unless you paid for 2 separate versions. Since you stated this was a new purchase, you might want to take the computer to whomever you purchased it from first to see if they can solve the problem. (Not that we can't help, but new purchased computers should work right away in my opinion and if not the seller should help or replace the unit for free)
Thanks, I appreciate that you can only have one style of Windows 7, I have a family windows 7 32bit which I have only used on one other machine as my main machine runs Windows 7 32bit ultimate. The problem with taking the machine back is I purchased it off the internet from MESH direct, and need the machine. The machine works fine except for the TV card, I would have assumed that if the graphics card wasnt man enough for the job they would have pointed it out at the point of sale, but reading the difference between 32bit and 64bit seems to be that 32bit can be faster on certain applications, so my question is; If I load my 32bit family edition of Windows 7 will it automatically overwrite the current version and change it to 32bit rather than 64bit, which would possibly mean the graphics card / tv card would work better?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
You would have to do a clean install to go from 32bit to 64bit (and the same works visa-versa). So, yes, everything would get overwritten so save any important files and such on another drive or removable media (CD-R, DVD-R or what have you).

I am unsure if that will guarantee that the card will work better or not, could you post the specific card and model number so we may be able to answer this question

Reaction score
Just changing the tact slightly, I have now put my old sound card in the new machine as it is an auzentech prelude 7:1 and although the light is on the sound card, the light is on on the remote access point and I think I have disabled the onboard sound card, I have no sound, but the TV has stopped jumping, so I have cured one problem, but am now encountering another? Oh computers aren't they a joy?? I have uploaded the latest driver and in device manager it says that the device is working properly, I don't know what else to try?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
When you look at your Sound Settings, Select the Playback Devices tab and right-click in the box & select show all devices. Does your card show up there? If disabled, try to Enable. Also, check the settings for any muted devices which may also cause a problem

Reaction score
Hi Darceena,

Thank you for your prompt response in relation to my sound card, I have now inserted my old auzentech Prelude 7:1 and after many hours of fiddling around with the settings etc, it now works. Although I am really happy with the service etc from MASH, the two things that I wanted the new machine to do, it doesnt do? After switching the settings round, updating their latest software the sound-card came to life and I have now managed to configure all the speakers, so all 7 now work. I now await the female version of the DVI adapter without the 4 pins around the vertical slot within the female version, I am hoping that this will connect my second monitor, otherwise I will have to purchase an additional graphics card, which means I will have saved no money. Once again thank you for your help, Paul

When you look at your Sound Settings, Select the Playback Devices tab and right-click in the box & select show all devices. Does your card show up there? If disabled, try to Enable. Also, check the settings for any muted devices which may also cause a problem

Ask a Question