Windows 7 5min shutdown

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. My Dell Inspirion 1721 takes 4min 45sec to shutdown. I recently did a clean install from Vista to Win 7. I never had this problem with Vista. Can anyone suggest something I might try. When I boot up in safe mode it does not change the amount of time for shutdown. I've uninstalled the AVG software, run CC Cleaner, Malware Anti Malware and Spybot. Nothingseems to work. I'm to the point of having to reformat. Any suggestions??
Thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
All of your drivers installed and up-to-date?

Do you have the Power option set to Performance mode?

Have you defragged your hard drive?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Disk is 1% defragged but I will do a defrag anyway. Power option set to High Performance. I'll check and see if all drivers are up to date and let you know the results.

Reaction score
I had a similar issue where both hibernation and shutdown took too long on a carpc installation (which was problematic because the powersupply shuts off power completely 2 minutes after the ignition signal goes off, whether the computer has finished shutting down or not).

I did a system restore, and disabled all hibernation and memory pagefile settings, rebooted to let the changes take effect, and then re-enabled them. That seems to have solved it so far (problem hadn't come back in a month and a half).

Give that a try. Even if you don't use hibernation at all, maybe enabling it, and then disabling it will clear up some cache that is used with the memory-cleanup that's done before shutting down.

Ask a Question