SOLVED windows 7 32 to 64 bit

Reaction score
I purchased a computer with windows 32 bit 4 gb already installed from manufacture, I upgraded it to Windows Pro - Can I upgrade it to 64 bit and how would I do it - I do not have the software form the manufacture in was pre-installed and the upgrade was downloaded from windows site.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I purchased a computer with windows 32 bit 4 gb already installed from manufacture, I upgraded it to Windows Pro - Can I upgrade it to 64 bit and how would I do it - I do not have the software form the manufacture in was pre-installed and the upgrade was downloaded from windows site.

As long as you still have the Windows 7 Professional product key you'll be okay. The key will work for either the 32 bit or the 64 bit versions of Professional.

REMEMBER, only ONE INSTALL per product key though!

You can download the Windows 7 Professional x64 version from this link:
Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65805.iso

The ISO image is 3.02 GB in size. Save it to a folder or somewhere where you can remember where it is. Then use ImgBurn or another ISO burning program to burn the ISO image to a blank DVD at no faster than 4x burning speed. (This is to avoid any burning errors.) Then use the burning program to verify the burned DVD against the ISO image just to be sure it's all good.

You'll have to do a clean install though, because it is not possible to "upgraded" from a x86 (32bit) install to an x64 (64bit) install.

Be sure to download ahead of time all the 64 bit drivers for your computer and store them on a thumb drive, external hard drive or burn to a CD-RW disk.

Ask a Question