Win 7 XP Mode

Reaction score
I have a small issue. We have ADSL USB modems that are a bit outdated and I cannot find any W7 drivers for them. So I was thinking that maybe if I run this in XP mode it would work. However when in XP mode I still cannot load the old drivers. I was not sure if loading drivers would actually work but I needed to give it a go. Any ideas on this welcome :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please specify the modem make and model.

Reaction score
It is a Marconi USB ADSL POTS Modem, not much on this modem sorry about that

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You must be in Europe, at least there or South Africa or the UK.

Were the modems supplied by your ADSL provider?

Maybe they can help you out. I have never liked USB modems, too many issues.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
I have plenty of modems but that is not the issue. We use this for faulting when we do not have power available and it runs our faults diagnostics program as well :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What shows up in W7 device manager when it's plugged in?

Reaction score
I will now have to get back to you on this on Monday as this laptop is at the office

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You must be in Europe, at least there or South Africa or the UK.

Were the modems supplied by your ADSL provider?

Maybe they can help you out. I have never liked USB modems, too many issues.

Good Luck!
I've had wireless USB modems from two different cell phone companies (Verizon & Cricket), and unless I had no other choice, I never want them again. Too slow, and over 5GB of use with Verizon, it costs extra. With Cricket, you have unlimited use, but you go over 5GB, you're slowed to a crawl. Even at full speed, it took 7 hours to download a 700MB Linux disc.

Mabye for business users on the run, they're OK, but for a home user, I highly advise to stay away from them (in the US).

Cat

Reaction score
This is how it should work.

1. Place CD in drive (USB not connected)
2. Load software (mostly just the drivers for this)
3. It then tell you connect device USB
4. It then finds the new hardware and installs software like normal.
5. You are then ready to go your USB ADSL connects

I can get up to point 2 in normal Win mode but then it all falls apart when you connect the USB device it just does not see it at all. I tried the following

1. Run in comparability mode XP SP2 same story as above, still won't see teh USB once plugged in
2. Run in Win XP (virtual machine) same story as above still won't see the USB when plugged in.

Just as a matter of interest when you are in XP mode it does not see any USB device plugged in. Plug in my flash drive and nothing. Toggle to Win7 and then you see it.

I have attached a screen shot of how it should look in the device manager on XP

I also tried various way of manually trying to install it from add new hardware but also no success. SO the only other solution would be duel boot but this is also out of the question on these laptops. So my next step is to see if I can get another router that will interface with our diagnostics software

Attachments

Ask a Question