Win 7 wont run properly

Reaction score
Recently built a new system and installed win7 64 bit. The thing just wont work right. An example is I can go to control panel, select power options and then something like a power setting and the computer won't do a thing.It acts like it is thinking. I can move the curser and go to task manager and see where the program is running, but it won't do anything. I can run vista 32 bit on the machine with a breeze, excellent performance. But not with win7.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67LE
Processor: i7-2600k 3.4G
Memory: 16Gb DDR3 1333MHz
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 1GB
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS 7.1 PCI
P/S: 700 watt
Storage: 2ea. WD 1 tb drives

Any suggestions as I am stumped?

Reaction score
I'll throw some ideas out there (custom build so i know you know your stuff but ill be basic anyway). Hardware vs software. 1st you should run extensive hardware diagnostics on the system either with 3rd party software for the whole system or just western digital hard drive diagnostics. make sure the drives are 100% physically working even if you JUST bought them same with ram etc. software side i would say SFC /SCANNOW in command prompt with admin privileges and if integrity comes back failing, run full CHKDSK /F /R and reboot. Have you tried it in Safe Mode yet? try that to see if any software is conflicting with it. you mention vista/win 7 so did you have any issues with drivers? did you UPGRADE from vista to 7 or fresh install? and did you find all the proper windows 7 drivers for your board etc?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What versions of Windows 7 have you tested on exactly being that you run 64 bit? At least Home Premium? Or is this Home Basic or Starter?

Ask a Question