Win 7 slowed to a crawl

Reaction score
My system has slowed to a crawl (and rebooting makes no difference). Every mouse click takes anything between 10 and 60 seconds to get a response and most programmes state 'not responding'.

When I boot into Safe Mode it's fine, so I'm guessing it's not a hardware problem. I tried rolling back to a system restore point just before some software and updates were installed (they were updates to Acrobat Reader plus installs of a You Tube downloader and a Video Format Comverter) but it makes no difference.

I tried looking at the Event Viewer but couldn't make much sense of it.

Presumably, if I can start in Safe Mode and then gradually add whatever else loads I can find the culprit - but how do I go about doing that?

Don't know if it's relevant but Windows Explorer keeps falling over (which it seems to do a lot) and Kaspersky Anti_Virus was reporting a database corruption, but it now seems to have recovered form that since I rolled back to the restore point - though unfortunately it wont run in safe mode.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi dtallon and welcome :)

You could try stopping some of your programs from starting via msconfig until you find the culprit - if it is a program slowing your system.

Reaction score
Thanks - pardon my ignorance, but do I do that via a DOS prompt using 'cmd'?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Click the Start Orb then in search type msconfig then at the top of search click the msconfig icon, when msconfig opens click the startup tab and un-tick any programs you want to stop from starting (and later tick to make the program start at startup) click apply - OK then you need to reboot.

Reaction score
Sounds like classic power supply failure. Get to Fry's and get a replacement. Before long, it won't boot up at all.

-Jazmac

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds like classic power supply failure. Get to Fry's and get a replacement. Before long, it won't boot up at all.

-Jazmac
If there is a Fry's Electronics near where you live that would be great. They can test the power supply for you also.

How many watts is your power supply? How old is it?

Did you do a new build and use the old power supply?

Reaction score
Unlikely, as it boots up and works fine in Safe Mode. The power supply came with the computer and is only 20 months old (out of warranty period).

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you tried running an anti-malware scan?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi dtallon

Have you tried msconfig yet ? and could you please post what security apps you have installed on your Computer.

Reaction score
hmm, well, I seem to have solved it - I think.... Tried msconfig and really stripped it out which seemed to work. However at the same time that the slow down occurred, the hard drive started making odd noises and Kaspersky wouldn't work correctly or update itself. So - are these symptoms or causes??? Added various bits back until I came to Kaspersky which still wont run or update.....

So, then used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware s/w which identified various things including:
- a Trojan
- several suspicious things to do with Adobe updating various programs (which ran just before it happened.....)

so got rid of those, then..... the mouse stopped working!

In a barely suppressed rage I got round this by using another laptop with a mouse to control the PC through 'Logmein' and identified the problem as the registry entry, so then tried 'RegCure' - which still didn't get the mouse working.

Then tried rolling back to a previous restore point (should have thought of that earlier - doh!) and the mouse works again.

Unistalled Kaspersky Anti-Virus and temprarily installed AVG anit-virus free edition, then ran some disk tests which either wont run (windows 7 stopping them, perhaps?) or suggest the disk is fine. For example, the Ariolic Disk Scanner did a check of the data in all the sectors and reported it as all OK. Plus it's stopped making noises now.

Which leaves me with my PC back to it's normal speed (great!) but suspecting that Kaspersky caused the problem in the first place (hmmm....maybe not so great.....). Looked on the Kasperky forums but can't find anything similar.

So maybe something caused Kaspersky to screw up - but what was it? I had thought maybe a partly corrupted disk, but it seems not....

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thats good news dtallon, you may of had a software incompatibility but the important thing is you solved your problem and your Computer is running as it should :top:

Reaction score
Unistalled Kaspersky Anti-Virus and temprarily installed AVG anit-virus free edition
Keep you eye open. I have heard more about AVG causing problems than I have Kaspersky.

I've not tried Kaspersky but I have tried AVG and after two days it had to go. AVG caused my PC to be very sluggish. I do hope you have a much better experience than I did with AVG.

Ask a Question