Win 7 laptop problem - help please

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just found this forum and hoping for some help. My wife's work laptop (Toshiba A660) has been slowing and preventing access to the web and some system settings. Expecting a virus etc, I downloaded a boot version of Clam Win Portable (suggested by a friend) and ran it overnight from a CD.

Following morning it said found 5 problems, incl 2 root kit and repaired files. Now the system boot fails. I have tried using the boot repair utility and it says cant find a solution and I have made a repair boot disc from another Toshiba but same problem.

Any suggestions please as laptop needed for work urgently.

Cheers.

Davo

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are two tools in our freeware DB, TDSSKiller and RKILL. You will also need an anti-virus, I'm not familiar with CLAM Win but you could try it. Download those and boot to safe mode. Run TDSSKiller and then run 2 or 3 different versions of RKILL. And finally, while still in safe mode, run a complete virus scan and removal.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have been googling and found the solution sfc /scannow, however I cant get to the command prompt to do this. When I run the system repair and choose command prompt it informs me that a recovery session is in process and to reboot... and on it goes.

I have tried rebooting into safe mode and prompt but the system wont even load windows that way. Obviously a system file is stuffed but I dont see a way to repair it.

I have copied off all the data I need using Linux disc boot so I think my only solution is a factory reset. Any ideas before I do this appreciated :)

Reaction score
davo i had a tracking cookie once attached to my processor which acted like it had a virus. my laptop just got slower and slower. made a big mistake and contacted acer support on it, they said do a factory default restore, and doing that it crashed. acer had to repair it knocked out wifi board, graphics and processor. if the antivirus software your using has a virus tool removal download it and run it. trendmicro has a free scan download you can use and it will remove it.

Ask a Question