Win 7 desktop icons won't stay in place

Reaction score
I love just about everything about windows 7 except for the fact that everytime I restart or re-boot for any reason, I have to put all the icons back in the order when I boot up to desktop.

I've tried a few software products that claim to lock the desktop icons in place but none have worked. I've researched for weeks but haven't found anything yet that even come close.

Does anyone out there have any known good fixes for this...? :confused:

Reaction score
Veedaz,

Thanks so much for the suggestion for the fix...!

I don't recall having changed the verticle or horizontal spacing but upon checking they were both setting at 43 so I changed them to 32 as you suggested. The only other things I've tried besides a couple of freebie programs thet claimed to do the job is the typical auto arrainge and align to grid from the desktop view settings.

I have to run but will star back up from home and let you know if this resolves the problem - Thanks again & stay tuned for the answer.

Lyricster
Atlanta

Reaction score
Veedaz,

Sorry, this did not resolve the problem. Whe I booted up at home the icons were all out of order as usual.

Do you have any other suggestions...?

Thanks...!:(

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK how are your options set (Right click empty space on desktop > View)

Reaction score
Was there ever a resolution to this issue????????????
It works fine on my DT but my new HP LT has this issue.

Reaction score
it doesn't say anything about operating in W7 - it hasn't been a problem for me till now. I got a new LT and i set a separate user for my wife. the other systems only have one user.

I tried one solution of logging off then back on after changing icon positions and it seemed to work. I also added a reg entry i found - but i haven't verified that does anything yet.

thx

Ask a Question