SOLVED Which edition of Win 7 will suffice?

Reaction score
I help folks with their computers, and a common issue I run into is the boot records getting corrupted. Having a Windows install disc is handy to have...not to run an install...but for the repair option to run fixboot and fixmbr.
I would like to get a Win 7 OS disc for this purpose, and you can get it in both 32 bit or 64 bit. For repair purposes, does that really matter? I believe the differences as far as the "bit" version is concerned is the amount a memory handling to be done. Am I correct in thinking that a 64 bit Win 7 OS disc would restore the boot records for either a 32 or 64 bit version of Win 7?
Thanks for any assistance.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I help folks with their computers, and a common issue I run into is the boot records getting corrupted. Having a Windows install disc is handy to have...not to run an install...but for the repair option to run fixboot and fixmbr.
I would like to get a Win 7 OS disc for this purpose, and you can get it in both 32 bit or 64 bit. For repair purposes, does that really matter? I believe the differences as far as the "bit" version is concerned is the amount a memory handling to be done. Am I correct in thinking that a 64 bit Win 7 OS disc would restore the boot records for either a 32 or 64 bit version of Win 7?
Thanks for any assistance.
Not sure about the last part, but I doubt it.

If you buy a retail version of Windows 7, it usually comes with both discs, the 32bit and the 64bit versions.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your recovery disc needs to match the bit version you have installed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.
I can understand how the bit version would matter with a full install since 64 bit is designed to handle larger amounts of memory. How would the bit version matter as far as repairing a boot record for either version?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.
I can understand how the bit version would matter with a full install since 64 bit is designed to handle larger amounts of memory. How would the bit version matter as far as repairing a boot record for either version?

The bit version also make a difference in the boot record due to differences in the kernal.

Reaction score
Alrighty, then. I got that. So perhaps Win 7 Ultimate would suffice since it provides both 32 bit and 64 bit discs....right? If I know the edition (32 or 64)of the computer I'm repairing I would use the corresponding disc to run a fixboot or fixmbr, correct?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Oh by the way busdriver72 - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! We almost forgot out manners. :ciao:

Yes, make sure the disc you're using for the "fixmbr" is the same bit version.

ALL retail full and retail upgrade packages of Windows 7 come with both the 32-bit and 64-bit install DVDs.

Only the OEM (system builder) version comes with a single disc, either 32-bit or 64-bit and less fancy packaging. (Plus the tech support is provided by the system builder, not Microsoft.)

Ultimate just offer a few more features/options over the Professional version.

Reaction score
Update:
I went ahead and created a repair disc using the Win 7 utorrent download.
After a few minutes of educating myself on the commands (you have to use more than just "fixboot") I was able to repair the boot records and it booted into Windows.
Thanks for the guidance, guys.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Update:
I went ahead and created a repair disc using the Win 7 utorrent download.
After a few minutes of educating myself on the commands (you have to use more than just "fixboot") I was able to repair the boot records and it booted into Windows.
Thanks for the guidance, guys.
That is good to hear you got all fixed now.

Peace and Long Life!

~Nibs

Ask a Question