What can I do?

Reaction score
Hi,
It's been a very tiresome few days, with transferring and deleting copius amounts of data, then re-installing Windows 7 twice to come to the conclusion that my HDD is faulty.

I bought my PC from a store, and the employee installed Windows 7 on the HDD.

Apparently there is a licensing situation that says this version of Windows 7 is lisenced to that HDD. Obviously I need to change HDD's or I will need to buy Windows again.. Any ideas on where to go with this?

Cheers

Reaction score
Is this a laptop?

No the Software is never licensed to the HD if it is OEM software as I suspect it licensed to the MB (Mother Board) You can change hard drives or video cards or even Cpu's without breaking the license agreement (EULA)

Reaction score
I suggest that you go back to the store and make them fix the problem. It sounds like the employee have done something wrong.
Take the machine to the store you bought it from and tell them to fix the problem :)

Reaction score
Thanks Super Sarge, if you are right that is great news, I have another HDD in the system, shame I just transferred all the data to this one.
Thanks Cwoehlk but the system is past its warranty.

Reaction score
Ah i see.. Your earlier message just made me think that you just bougth it, don't know why actually.
Then i'm prolly not much of help for ya.
Let me get things right. You have been reinstalling win7 on an other partition of your HDD and it tells you that you have no license for it then?

Reaction score
No it didn't say that, it was actually a member of this forum that told me I can't install on a new drive, I'm just glad I have the option of installing on my other HDD which is in the machine.
OK another day of transferring data ahead of me... meh :)

Reaction score
Yea i know the feeling. I just used two days on reinstalling my own computer. Still there is a little problem that i hope someone can help me with in my thread..
Anyhow keep up the good mood ;)

Cheers

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you have the product key and C.O.A. label on the case then you can do the reinstall yourself and probably do a better job than the idiots at the computer store where you bought your system.

If it's Best Buy and Geek Squad... RUN! RUN! RUN AWAY! They're horrible, pitiful customer service. The only qualification is to be post-pubescent, lots of pimples and wear "emo" pants!!

Plus with your system specs you really should be running the 64-bit version anyway as it will utilize your system's hardware more efficiently and it will run smoother too.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
OEM/System Builder licenses are tied to the motherboard, not the HD.