Web page Crashes Firefox& I.E

Reaction score
I'm trying to watch a TV show from one of our main TV stations.
However as soon as I click on the tab to "watch this show" Firefox would crash.
After a couple of goes I swapped to Internet Explorer and the same thing happened.

In XP however (after downloading Silverlight) the show downloaded and ran.

So why can the "old/outdated" software as some like to say be able to do something which the supposedly current O/S cannot.

It must be a windows 7 setting somewhere given that both FF & IE crash in the same way.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you using the same version of browser on the XP build? Try the "no addons" version in W7. Try compatibility mode. Different antivirus?

Reaction score
Same version of FF in both. Yes, different antivirus.. ESET on 7 and MSE on XP.
Strange though that both FF and i.e crash on this site under 7.

Reaction score
Tried compatibility mode crashed out just the same What is the 'no addons'version. do you just mean the broswer with no addons installed or is it something different.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Right, you pick the run browser IE (no addins) option & Firefox safe mode. And yes, if it is the antivirus blocking or having problems checking the site then it does make sense to me that FF & IE would have the same problem; what it does seem to say is that it isn't the browser.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Are both OS using the same video drivers?

Reaction score
Are both OS using the same video drivers?
Good question and the short answer is "I don't know".
It's on-board graphics and it all 'just worked' when I installed Win7 so never bothered.

Until this time not had issues. It's (almost) been the only consistent prgram crash I've had with Win 7 since I installed it. In fact up till now never had any browser crash under 7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Aren't you running W7 64 & XP 32 - so it's not very likely.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I would install OEM drivers for the onboard graphics. The Windows ones tend to leave something to be desired.

Is this crash issue specific to a Silverlight-using site? Have you tried reinstalling Silverlight 4.0?

Reaction score
Is this crash issue specific to a Silverlight-using site? Have you tried reinstalling Silverlight 4.0?
I'll look into that, yes it needed silverlight to play. XP did not have Silverlight so I downloaded it, I would assume it's the latest version and it did not crash browsers in XP.

Win 7 already has Silverlight so I did not need to install it but perhaps not the latest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Think the MoBo just turned up it's toes. Cannot even boot now.

Ask a Question