Weak File Control

Reaction score
During program writing, I tend to save a file often. Windows 7 seems to keep track of how often I do this and will soon tell me it is unable to save this latest version of a file I am working on. I will try to fool it by saving it to a different directory or folder but when I go to retrieve it, it cannot be found. I've never had these problems with XP or earlier versions of Windows. Also, when I copy a file from one drive to another, it tells me I need Admin permission to do this. I just click OK and it is done. I don't think I need to indicate I am the administrator of my machine since I am the only one to use it and there is only one password that is entered at sign in to this computer, mine. I see some of my saved files have a yellow lock symbol attached to them. What is that?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Even though you are the only current active user, W7 is designed to allow multiple users plus there is also a Hidden System Administrator account which has ownership of the Windows System files etc.

Because of the multi-user design you do not have rights to store files directly to C:\Users\Tony folders; you are meant to write your data via library pointers. Also, you often will not have the proper permissions to overwrite files on external drives that were created on other machines. So when you see a lock icon it means you don't have permission to access that folder, at least not directly.

XP had very limited security, nothing like W7.

Still it should have nothing to do with the number of times you save a file, just to do with whether you store it to a location you have write permissions for.

Ask a Question