using ready boost.

Reaction score
Had a play with it and it seems to work.
Just two questions.

1/ Once a flash drive has been used does the system recognize it next time as the 2nd time I put it in it did not ask if I wanted to use it for boost but under my computer it seems to be allocated.

2/ Can you safely dismount the drive by going my computer>device>properties>eject. I tried that but it warned that the device might be in use so I did not proceed. So can you only safely remove the drive after you've shut down.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Once you've configured a flash drive to run ReadyBoost, it'll run it everytime you insert it. I've used them before, they're good when you have 2GB (or less) RAM. Above that, it has little effect. I notice that you have 2GB RAM, so it will help your speed some.

While running it, go to Computer, you'll see the drive nearly full (on a 4GB flash drive at the recommended settings). That shows it's working.

The only way that you can unmount the device is either to shut down, or disable ReadyBoost on the drive (by right clicking onto the drive, you'll have that option). Then, when you need it again, you'll have to reconfigure it again, but it only takes a minute anyway. Until and unless you plan to upgrade your RAM, it's a good idea to run it.

Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For ReadyBoost to really function well, the flash drive must be very fast. Older and slower flash drivers usually won't help out too much.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My experience with using flash drives for ReadyBoost is when you choose to use it as such, it'll check the performance first. If it's not suitable, it'll tell you so. I had one, a 16GB "P.O.S." that I bought on eBay for around $20, as I recall. I could save files on it, but that's about all. It wouldn't even run Linux Mint on it, the performance was so bad.

Today, that drive is dead. It came with a nice looking custom case, it really makes a great paperweight. An expensive one at that.

I only buy Kingston and SanDisk flash drives now. The Kingston is faster, but the SanDisk has a portable browser built in, something called a "U3" app. Last month, I bought a really nice 8GB Kingston for only $10 at Office Max. I haven't even opened it yet, I have so many laying around.

Cat

Reaction score
The one I am using is a Sony. Not sure how they rate in terms of performance but the system seems to like it. Of course only having USB2 I am limited anyway.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I use a Patriot Xporter XT 4 GB drive for miscellaneous use. It's quite fast.

One thing I have found is that price often reflects the speed and quality of a flash drive.

Reaction score
Actually there e is not a big performance gain it you have 2 gig of memory. It will really help those that have 1 gig or less of memory.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Actually there e is not a big performance gain it you have 2 gig of memory. It will really help those that have 1 gig or less of memory.
That is true! I have 6 GB of RAM and therefore ReadyBoost would be meaningless in my situation.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I found that it helps with 2GB systems too, as my desktop was 2GB from the factory, it helped. Also, my notebook is 2GB (it's max), it helps there too.

Remember, some of your RAM has to feed the video card, so your OS never has the full installed amount for it's sole use. Take 256MB for the video card away, you're left with only 1.75GB RAM to work with. ReadyBoost can at least make up for that loss, so it is beneficial to those who had 2GB (or less) RAM.

But I do agree, the performance is most noticeable for those who has 1GB (or less) RAM. I've had one notebook that 1GB was it's max, and it did help more than on a 2GB system. Anything over 2GB, it's a waste of the drive.

Cat

Reaction score
One more question about ready boost. If the flash drives fails or is accidentally removed whilst in use will it have a serious adverse effect on the system or just cause a crash/lockup that a re-boot fixes.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's like loosing a page of memory - whatever program was using that info is up a creek w/o a paddle. Possible data loss or corruption. No more damage than a power outage or shutting off by the power switch.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Most likely, any problems that may be caused can be fixed with a reboot, if that's even necessary. I've yet to see a post or article where this has happened, although anything's possible.

I doubt that it'll harm your computer.

Cat

Ask a Question