Two-tone 'bump' sound on startup

Reaction score
This started about 2 months after a clean install when I decided to go with a raid 0 setup. It's the kind of sound that's trying to tell me something is not right, but it is working regardless. This happens just as Win 7 shows it is ready to use.

When it first did it the Dell monitor, which would show all the usual startup info, would then go black and act like there was no signal to it and I had to keep changing the various input options to finally get it to come back up. I reinstalled the video card driver (Radeon 4780) to solve that problem, but the bump sound is still there with every startup.

I've been ignoring it waiting for something obvious to provide more clues, but everything apprears normal. Any ideas? "If it ain't broke don't fix it?"

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Some audio drivers will make a "thump" or "bump" sound when Windows 7 starts up. That's just the driver activating and such. Don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Followup: After I posted above I thought about looking at the Event Log. I see the same warning and errors for every single time I turned to computer on. The very first one is "Crash Dump Initialization Failed" followed by "The driver\Driver\WUDRFd failed to load for the device root\SIDESHOW\0000"

Is this anything to worry about?

Ask a Question