System Restore fails

Reaction score
Running Windows 7 Home Premium. when I try System Restore it fails
with the message:

" Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of
the directory from the restore point.

Source: %System Root%\registration
Destination: ComPlusStaging (sic)"

I tried: No antivirus, virus scan (neg), Malware scan (found and removed 1), lots of web searching. No success.
:confused:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sometimes System Restore works, sometimes not.

That's why people shouldn't rely on it solely.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
mike486, welcome to the forum!

I don't know the reasons, but System Restore can't be relied upon on Windows 7 like it can be with XP. You can allocate all of the disc space you want, but sometimes restore points "disappears".

The only sure fire way of restoring your computer is by backing up. There's a handful of 100% free backup programs on the market, such as Macrium Reflect, Easeus Todo, Paragon, Comodo and others. All that you need is a backup drive, either one preassembled, or a spare drive can be placed in a enclosure that usually cost less than $25.

The only other alternative that I know of to replace System Restore is an app called Comodo Time Machine. It takes "snapshots" of your system at various points, and prevents accidental (or intentional) deletion of protected files, as long as the app is installed.

Comodo Time Machine can be found at:
http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/data-recovery.php

Hope that it helps!

Cat

Reaction score
I don't know the reasons, but System Restore can't be relied upon on Windows 7 like it can be with XP.
I find this to be a personal opinion of which I do not agree with. I've not had issues with restoration of any restore points.

I find no reason why any feature of Windows XP would be considered more reliable than Windows 7. But then again this is also a personal opinion of my own.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I realize that it is opinion, as many of the views expressed here are. But I haven't had good luck with System Restore lately, even though I allocate 25% of my drive space to it.

Sometimes, they get wiped out. Like when I installed SP1 on my desktop. Like when I tried to restore my new notebook to the way it was after a bad driver update. I was able to use the rollback function in Device Manager to revert, but couldn't do it through System Restore.

I always allocate 25% of my drives towards this function, but when I needed it, it wasn't there.

For this reason, I suggest to have at least two backups on hand, one when the install was fresh, and another no older than two weeks. It's the only sure way that you can revert to a previous point in time, as long as the backup drive is protected.

Cat

Ask a Question