SOLVED Strange Sleep Behaviour

Reaction score
HI Again! My computer has had a change in sleep behaviour. Normally when i press sleep it stays off till i wake it up. but for some reason now when i press sleep it wakes up in about half an hour. Please can you help?

system stats

INTEL CORE I3 2120 @3.3GHZ

6GB DDR3 MEMORY

250GB SEAGATE HDD (SATA)

500W PSU

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you recently installed new applications? My first guess would be that there's Internet or LAN activity that's waking the system up. You can go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager and check the properties of your network device, it will probably have "wake the system up" enabled somewhere. Still, it's better to try and figure out if it's a specific application doing it, because malware can also do this.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is set up to allow wake by the mouse then often simply bumping your desk can often move the mouse enough to wake it.

Reaction score
ive run a anti malwere scan and a Spybot s&D and ad Norton 360 virus scan and it found 3 tracking cookies but thats it. and as for the lan devies and wifi I turn off the Router at night anyway, so i dont think it will be that.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Don't reduce its sensitivity, just turn it off when you put the machine to sleep.

You can also check Event Viewer logs when it wakes up to see if there is anything there that might give a clue.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have a wireless mouse you can simply turn it off.

If not then you may want to try removing the check mark next to "allow this device to wake the computer" in Control panel > device manager ... power management tab.

Ask a Question