slow sleep recovery

Reaction score
Windows 7 goes into sleep mode, the often takes 5 or minutes to recover. pointer does not immediately appear, after pointer appears it is not responsive to key board and mouse. launching software does not work. After several minutes, all becomes active. What is the problem, what is the solution?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry!
Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums!

Are you shure it's sleep, not hibernate?
You can set hybrid sleep to OFF from advanced power options

Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings then click change advanced power settings and turn off hybrid sleep or completely disable hibernation by running powercfg -h off from cmd.

Also, check for bad sectors on your HDD. Computer>Your HDD> Right-click > Properties > Tools> Error Checking

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thanks

It could be hybernate as you suggested. I have turned off that option as you suggested. We will see what effect it has.

Again Thank you for your help

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
IF you're using a desktop system, it really makes no sense to hibernate your computer. Hibernate is really best used on laptops.

I just turn off all power saving features and set my monitor to turn off after 10 minutes.

Sleep saves data to memory and then switches to minimal power mode. The disadvantage is a 5 second delay while Vista manages the switch back to normal power mode. In the event of a power failure you would lose any unsaved data which is stored in RAM.

Hibernation stores a user's unsaved data, including information about open programs, to a special file called hiberfil.sys. This means that your data is safe even if you switch of the mains and take out the battery. When the machine restarts, it loads the data stored in hiberfil.sys and thus returns the machine to the precise state when you set it to hibernate. Incidentally, hiberfil.sys is a hidden file, which is always found in the root of the c: drive.

Hybrid Sleep, it gives you the speed of Sleep, combined with the resilience of Hibernation. If all goes well then your machine comes out of Hybrid Sleep in less than 5 seconds, if all goes badly, then it takes relatively ages for the desktop to return, but at least you can recover your unsaved data from hiberfil.sys.

To read more, go HERE.

Ask a Question