Search Address Book Outlook 2007

Reaction score
While my contact folders are visible, my address book is not. Thus Outlook 2007 address Search in Outlook doesn't work. If I go into Accounts, Outlook shows an address book, but if I click on Change, there is no file listed - thus I cannot change nor delete, and thus add a new one.
Q: How can I get this or any other immediatr contact search in Outlook going?

Reaction score
I do not really understand. What i your problem?
Do you want to search for contacts and the search is corrupted?
Or are you not able to open the address-book? Or is it because you can not change your contact details?

Reaction score
Apology for being unclear.

Outlook 2007 search and autofill for email addresses links to the Windows address book (.wab). In Windows 7, my Outlook 2007 cannot find and this .wab file.

Where is it?

hope this is clearer, thanks, P

Reaction score
ok, i didn´t know about a .wab-file...
outlook saves it´s e-mail addresses in the .pst file, or?
did you try a search for *.wab in windows? maybe this file does not exist...

i thought you have problems with the search itself. that was my problem. so i changed to an external search tool.
why don´t you use the outlook address-book?

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Am using Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 OS. Previously had Outlook 2007 on Windows XP and the auto complete feature worked just fine. I moved the same address book (MAPI) to Windows 7 but am unable to select an address book. The options are grayed out. Auto complete does not work. Seems like this is a somewhat common problem but haven't found the answer yet. Would appreciate any ideas.

Reaction score
If you take the Properties of your Contact list, you can set the Contact List to be used as the Address Book.
Right Click on Contacts in My Contacts, Properties, Outlook Address Book tab, check Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book!
Sorry, but I can't quite remember any more of the details, my W7 machine is down ATM!

Reaction score
Geoff,
Thank you for responding. I wish it were that easy. The option you're talking about is what is grayed out. I had read that Contacts is the default Address Book, so wasn't too concerned at first that the option was not accessible. However, I am not able to select any address book and am not able to put a check mark to select Contacts as the address book. More ideas?

Reaction score
GS,

My W7 box is still playing silly buggers! I'll get back to you ASAP!

Last edited:
Reaction score
W7 has been a little frustrating, at times. Doesn't let you "get under the hood," like some previous versions. Still, anything is better than Vista...well, except for "Me," which was a joke.

Back to the Outlook problem. I've done a capture.

In Outlook 2007, the Contacts are saved within the Outlook.PST file as a default.
Here's what I get when I go to the Properties of Contacts. Note the checkbox is grayed out.
http://spencercountyevents.com/outlookprobs.htm

Reaction score
Hi GetSet,
Finally got my W7 box up & running again after 2 full re-installs! Still got to put Office 2007 on but I'll do that tomorrow now. It's 11:30pm here!

Reaction score
Geoff,
Thanks for the update and glad to hear your W7 is working again. Still looking for a solution to my Outlook problem and any other suggestions you can provide will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hiya GetSet,

Finally got me Outlook 2007 working again. The box that you have greyed out is not greyed out on mine so I was able to use the Contacts list as an Address Book!
I am using the data file on my old PC still. It is set in the Tools >> Account Settings >> Data Files and is set as the default. When I am finally satisfied that all is well on the W7 box then I'll move the .pst file over.
Have a look in your Settings and ensure that you have the data file set the way you would want it!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Microsoft Outlook Exchange Problem

Hello: This is my second time posting something here. I also have a problem with my Outlook address book. But I also have it connected to my main email address. When I connected the two, my address book was to also go to Outlook but didn't. I can not find help under MS site. Also, I have to connect to MS Outlook Exchange Server for work and for the past week the Exchange server doesn't work. How can I fix this?

Thank you,

PS: I also paid for all of my software!

Ask a Question