safe mode

Reaction score
Hi all

problem my windows 7 has been infected with the security tool crap i have bought a malware program to get rid of this but it will not let me install it, i have tried booting into safe mode but again it stops it, i have tried using the msconfig route but again it catches it and says its a virus and again stops me using this route . any help please

Reaction score
Download a copy of a free virus boot scan CD from
Code:
http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/
Boot from one of them and scan. Make sure you are connected to the Internet so it can update. After this you should be able to log on to Windows and use malwarebytes to finish it off. I do this all the time. One note: Make 2 CD's of different programs as not all of them will work on a given system.

I have had the best results with Kaspersky and BitDefender.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thanks Roban. Nice useful site.

Reaction score
You're welcome yodap. I'm glad you found it useful. Let's hope you never have to use it.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Let's hope.

I wonder how the OP is doing with this. I now know of more than a few people who have been infected by this. People who know what they're doing and are very cautious.

The good thing is the AV and malware folks seem to be on top of it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi all

problem my windows 7 has been infected with the security tool crap i have bought a malware program to get rid of this but it will not let me install it, i have tried booting into safe mode but again it stops it, i have tried using the msconfig route but again it catches it and says its a virus and again stops me using this route . any help please

I just had to do a clean install of Windows 7 for a client where they got the same infection.

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT, IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE! I messed with the system for over two hours and could not clean it out. I finally just did a DOS hard drive wipe and reinstalled Windows 7.

You'll probably have to do the same thing. I know it's a pain in the rear to redo everything, but at least your system will be clean.

Be sure to put on a top-rated AV or internet security program such as Avira, G DATA or ESET.

Reaction score
Let's hope.

I wonder how the OP is doing with this. I now know of more than a few people who have been infected by this. People who know what they're doing and are very cautious.

The good thing is the AV and malware folks seem to be on top of it.
In these cases the best offense is a good defense so I am taking all of my clients off of programs such as AVG Free which doesn't provide real time protection and advising them to use Security Essentials or bite the bullet and pay for a good suite.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Looks like sparkyblue flew the coop!

Reaction score
I just had to do a clean install of Windows 7 for a client where they got the same infection.

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT, IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE! I messed with the system for over two hours and could not clean it out. I finally just did a DOS hard drive wipe and reinstalled Windows 7.

You'll probably have to do the same thing. I know it's a pain in the rear to redo everything, but at least your system will be clean.

Be sure to put on a top-rated AV or internet security program such as Avira, G DATA or ESET.

Nibiru2012 is right; sometimes the only way to remove crap like this is reinstalling your operating system. I think he forgot to mention to back up your system, there are ways to back up and recover your data (music, movies, and work data... ect) even if you cannot boot into windows. One such method is booting Linux from a CD so your drives mount then you should be able to save your files onto another storage medium. Just remember not to save the infected file too, or you may end up reinfecting your system. When im fixing windows systems for ppl 9 times out of 10 (with malware infections) I just back up the data and reinstall the operating system, it works 99% of the time. One time reinstalling did not work to fix a problem that’s the only computer I couldn't fix too, the main issue was after I reinstalled I couldn't install any software because of a digital signature issue or something... I really don't want to talk about that though, do u guys ever have a computer that made u sooo mad because of an issue like this lol? If I had more time I might have been able to play around and get it working but it was a house visit and there was a lot of chaos in the house from kids and stuff, so I only wanted to spend a few hours there and then I gave up and told her to call Dell and try to have them fix it.

Btw, nice link roban
www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list

Reaction score
Even if you do successfully remove the virus, can you ever trust that there is not any damage left caused by the virus. Would this damage cause you problems running your normal applications or would this damage make you vulnerable to another attack in the future.

I have battled a few viruses in my past and decided it is not worth trying to remove them. I will try to save what data I can and perform a system restore. If I have to try cleaning out the virus before I can save the data, I will still do a clean install or restore. Sometime I get lucky with a system cleanup and restore point.

Ask a Question