Remote Desktop Service

Reaction score
I have tried to disable it but every time I reboot it is back to auto AND STARTED. I have the box on the remote settings unchecked but still wonder why this particular service wont respond to the normal setting changes in services. All the rest do. Call me paranoid but I would just fell safer knowing it was disabled.
Since I bought the computer from HP and the operating sytem was installed by HP---duh-- Microsoft says they wont support the product and I have to pay like $50 or something to get an answer.
HP says it's part of the W7 operating system and needs to be on all the time and is set by default to stay on auto by windows. I'm not sure if I really believe that because there is no reason for it to be on auto permanently. And why is it always started when I check it? What program could possibly be using a remote desktop service on startup?

Mike M

Reaction score
in services.msc .. leave the remote desktop service leave the start up type in properties as manual ..

Reaction score
in services.msc .. leave the remote desktop service leave the start up type in properties as manual ..
I wasn't sure what you meant by leave the remote desktop service part but I did set the service to manual and rebooted and it actually stayed on manual and didn't start. So we went from always on auto and always started to manual and stopped...I still don't know why it wont disable.
I looked at what programs rely on it and it said windows media center, so I unchecked that box in 'windows features' and now where it lists the programs that rely on remote desktop service it says none.
Regardless, I am glad it is at least not always running now so I thank you for your help Chester.

Mike

Ask a Question