Registry auto reset

Reaction score
Every time I disable clearpagefile at shutdown, when I start back up it has turned it on again, making the shutdown on my laptop from about 20 seconds to 2 mins. It is driving me insane.

Tried ervery thing I can find on Google to fix it but it still happens, even made a copy of the registry and reload it every time I shut down.

Has anybody got a fix for this?

Reaction score
Hey.

The Group Policy Editor is your friend.

Type gpedit.msc in the start menu and hit enter.

Click the > button next to Computer Configuration. This will expand the menu.

Click the > next to the Windows settings option. Again the menu will expand.

Click the > next to Security settings. The menu will expand again.

Click the > next to Local Policies. The menu will expand again.

Click on the Security Options.

The right hand pane of group policies will fill with options.

Scroll down to Shutdowns; Clear virtual memory page file.

Now right click on this option and from the menu that appears select Properties.

In properties click on the radio button marked Disabled.

Click OK.

Close group policies.

Reaction score
All though it says I am an Administrator, there is a lock box on the folder and it wont let me disable it.
How do I get it unlocked to disable it?

Thank you

Reaction score
You're welcome.

I have the lock box icon too. It doesn't mean that you can't access it though. See the screenshot.

Otherwise, what you can do in Regedit is make sure that the dword is exactly "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" without the quotes or any spaces as it is in your post, and it's value is set to 0.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Attachments

Reaction score
I can see it the problem is, it is enabled and I can not disable it, it is grayed out.

I have tried to change it in the registry but it keeps going back to this default.

I think you are on the right track but need to be able to change it, I am guessing it is a security problem why it is grayed out.

Reaction score
Try booting into safe mode to use gpedit.msc.

That uses the true Administrator account and should surely have access to the setting to Disable.

Reaction score
Still no go, as I said it is driving me insane :)

Wonder if it has anything to do with virtual xp I am using with windows 7?

Ask a Question