Random freezes

Reaction score
I have also these random freezes mentioned in another topic. No bsod, no mouse movement, even the HDD light stops working. Sometimes its 2-3 mins after reboot, sometimes its 1 whole day without. Cant figure out whats causing the problem.
I tried a hotfix, it says "The update is not applicable to your computer"

I'm using Win7 64bit
Foxconn 8657MF mainboard
Intel Pentium D915
ATI Radeon 9600

Does anyone have any idea?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Make sure your system is clean of heat trapping dust and dirt and all your fans are spinning properly. Make sure it is free of malware too. This could also be a failing hardware issue - such as a failing power supply, RAM, CPU or motherboard. Obviously, with so may potential causes, it can be difficult to troubleshoot, but heat is always the first suspect.

Reaction score
I have also these random freezes mentioned in another topic. No bsod, no mouse movement, even the HDD light stops working. Sometimes its 2-3 mins after reboot, sometimes its 1 whole day without. Cant figure out whats causing the problem.
I tried a hotfix, it says "The update is not applicable to your computer"

I'm using Win7 64bit
Foxconn 8657MF mainboard
Intel Pentium D915
ATI Radeon 9600

Does anyone have any idea?
If the computer goes hot, check the setting for it in the BIOS. You might in the BIOS set the temperature for when the computer shuts down. This setting can even be to low. But be carefull with this setting, since heat can damage you PC.

Check your HW. Since the error seems to occur at random, there is probably a RAM issue. Download and install the super boot disk, startup with that and do some RAM tests. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I dont think its a hardware issue as I used XP sp2 without any problems for 4 years with this pc (except the registry mess I made :D)
After installing win7 the crashes instantly appeared.

Same with the heat, even sometimes it crashes after starting up when shouldnt be any heat.

Altho trying out the memtest (cant think of anything else that could help :) )

Reaction score
But as you describe the error it seems like a CPU or HW stop hang since you can't move the mouse or anything. So I would guess you have a HW or HW driver soft issue. I agree with you with respect to the heat issue though.

Ask a Question