Question before moving Docs folder

Reaction score
I have a new Samsung laptop, and didn't realize that they had pre-partitioned a small C:\ drive and a large D:\ drive.

I've read the article on the site that tells how to relocate the Docs folder.

My question is, will the applications I currently use "know" that the Docs folder location has changed? For example, I use Dropbox - will it know to scan the D:\Docs folder automatically or will I have to change it manually?

Thanks!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
You'll have to do it manually for apps installed before the move.

By the way, welcome to the forums! :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You'll have to do it manually for apps installed before the move.
That's not necessarily so. If the program uses the Windows location, it should know the new location. For example, Word should know the new location for new documents you create. For other programs, as Fire cat noted, you may have to change the locations manually.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Digerati is correct, the answer is MAYBE. If you had to select or enter the directory when you installed then it is quite likely you need to change it. Otherwise it depends: if it uses the environment variable then it will move with you, but if it only read and stored the value on install then you will have to change it.

There are third party programs which would allow you to merge two partitions but if there are any pointers to D: drive files you are back to editing file locations that way too.

Ask a Question