Product Key Gone

Reaction score
Ok, I did something really stupid. I was trying to find my Windows Product Key on my HP laptop just in case I need it later. Well, I found a site that I thought would show it from the command prompt. Well, I didn't read good enough. The command I entered actually removed the product key!

This is what I typed:

slmgr.vbs -upk

I tried using System Restore to go back to a previous system restore point but that didn't work. Windows now thinks it isn't "valid".....

Any suggestions on getting the key back? Call HP? I have a Norton Ghost backup, but I am unable to restore it. When I boot from the recover CD, it doesn't see the directory on my external drive where the backups are....

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you looked on the bottom or back of your notebook computer for the C.O.A. label, it always has the product key on it.

Also, you might try downloading S.I.W. (System Info for Windows) and you can check for the key in the upper left part of the program. Download the "portable" or free-standing version and therefore you won't have to install it.

SIW Without Installer (English-Only)
Download

Reaction score
Have you looked on the bottom or back of your notebook computer for the C.O.A. label, it always has the product key on it.

Also, you might try downloading S.I.W. (System Info for Windows) and you can check for the key in the upper left part of the program. Download the "portable" or free-standing version and therefore you won't have to install it.

SIW Without Installer (English-Only)
Download
Thank you so much! I feel pretty dump for 1) running something without fully reading what it did and 2) for not looking on the bottom of my computer for the product key.

All is good now. Well, except me not seeing my Norton Ghost backups when trying to restore... Off to Google and the Symantec site to look for solutions!

Thanks again for the quick response.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No problem! We all live and learn, especially in the "Windows Reality" which we all experience from time to time.

To paraphrase a famous quote: To err is human, to really screw things up takes a computer and a user with "just enough" knowledge! LOL! I know this one from past and present experience!

Ask a Question