Problem with explorer

Reaction score
Hi

I have just installed Windows 7 64-bit and completed installing all driver and noticed a 2 problems.

Problem 1:
The thumbnails of some programs don't show. An example is shown in the first attachment 1.

Problem 2:
The dropdown menu when right-clicking on a folder looks different from when right-clicking on the desktop. The difference can be clearly seen in example 2 & 3.

My PC:
- Intel Core i7 860.
- 4GB DDR3 RAM.
- Geforce 220GT graphics card.
- Gigabyte P55A-UD3R motherboard.

Attachments

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have just installed Windows 7 64-bit and completed installing all driver and noticed a 2 problems.

Problem 1:
The thumbnails of some programs don't show. An example is shown in the first attachment 1.

Problem 2:
The dropdown menu when right-clicking on a folder looks different from when right-clicking on the desktop. The difference can be clearly seen in example 2 & 3.

My PC:
- Intel Core i7 860.
- 4GB DDR3 RAM.
- Geforce 220GT graphics card.
- Gigabyte P55A-UD3R motherboard.
Hi and welcome!

About the right-click problem, that's normal. If you look at the picture you'll see you have right-clicked on an icon (in this the case, the computer icon). It changes because when you click on a free spot on the desktop, you basicly ask the computer to display right-click option for the desktop. When you click on an icon, it gives you the options for that icon.

For the thumbnail problem, remake the shortcut, and run the app from it at least one time. That should fix it. Also, does the software even have an icon?

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

About the right-click problem, that's normal. If you look at the picture you'll see you have right-clicked on an icon (in this the case, the computer icon). It changes because when you click on a free spot on the desktop, you basicly ask the computer to display right-click option for the desktop. When you click on an icon, it gives you the options for that icon.

For the thumbnail problem, remake the shortcut, and run the app from it at least one time. That should fix it. Also, does the software even have an icon?

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat
I managed to solve the first problem by following your instructions.

Regarding the second problem, I know that the when the computer icon is right-clicked, the options wouldn't be the same as right-clicking on the desktop, but why is the layout of the right click different.
If you look at the two pictures carefully, you would see that there is a small margin line on the second one. It's not a big deal but it just annoys me when I right-click on Computer.

Thanks for your help.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
My goodness, he's absolutely right. I never even noticed that. Not that it makes any difference whatsoever to me, but... This guy should be an engineer or something. I wish I had that level of attention to detail.

Reaction score
That happens when you install certain software. Really the only ways to figure out which is to clean install and watch as you install software one by one until you figure it out.

Or uninstall stuff from your existing Windows until the menu looks like mine is now. That being said, it may be AVG doing that:

Attachments

Reaction score
Ok. I clean re-installed windows and figured out that it was avg causing it. Before installing AVG it was normal but after it, it looked different again. Is there anyway of fixing this without uninstalling AVG cause I'm used to AVG.

Reaction score
Also, I am still facing the first problem which is getting worse as I install programs. Is there any permanent fix for that.

Btw, in the clean install I now have windows 7 32-bit.

Attachments

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, I am still facing the first problem which is getting worse as I install programs. Is there any permanent fix for that.

Btw, in the clean install I now have windows 7 32-bit.
Try uninstalling quicktime and itunes. That may be the cause.

If you need a MP4 video player, use windows media player, but install Shark007 Codecs. They are codecs that will enable your computer to vriw mp4 and other file formats, that you can't normally.
Shark007 Codecs:
http://shark007.net/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't uninstall iTunes because I need it to sync with my iPhone but there must be another cause or fix for the icons not showing.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Display drivers installed? All available Windows Update patches installed?

I don't know why iTunes would have anything to do with this. Not saying it couldn't, but I don't see the connection.

Have you tried reducing the size of the icons to something smaller?

I've had problems with Win7 program icons before, but from what I recall it was only after I used a tuning program.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Right click on the shortcut of one of the bad icons and choose properties. Click on change icon then the browse button. Navigate to the folder where the program is installed and there should be an icon to choose from.

Ask a Question