SOLVED Preview photo's in uploader

Reaction score
I just bought a fast new computer. Since this machine comes with Windows 7 (64 bit) and IE8 I am on a learning curve, having used XP for years.
I am a photographer that frequently uploads photo's to a photo/blog website (www.fotothing.com)
With Xp I am able to see a preview of the photo(s) before they upload. On the new machine I no longer am able to see this.
How do I change the settings in either Windows 7 or IE8 or both to once again get the preview prior to upload?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK there are two possibilities and you can choose either or both.

First you can change the folder view option to either tiles or content.
upload.jpg

Second you can enable the preview panel.
uploadprvw.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately your suggestions have no effect on the inability to view photo's prior to uploading.
I may not have been specific enough in my question.
I do have preview of photos as suggested by you above.
It is when I go to the website of my photo/blog website (www.fotothing.com) , and from there go to upload photos that I no longer have the preview as I did before in XP.
The site IS in my trusted zones.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So then it is the photos you already have up on the website that you wish to preview?

Because what I specified is how you would see the ones on your computer that are available to upload. When you enter upload on the site & you select BROWSE it shows the window in my example and when I get the pictures folder I see my photos just as displayed in the attachment, all I have to do is select it, specify tags and description and hit UPLOAD.

BTW: if you can attach a a photo of your issue to the post that may help me understand better.
(To attach a file use the "Post reply" button which will offer a more detailed message box than the quick reply you see below. On the advanced post reply message box hit the paperclip icon to attach files.)

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
From what I can see, once you start the upload process, and you select the folder with the picture files inside it, is there not a Thunbnails selection that would allow you to see a mini version of the picture before you upload?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you tried looking in Windows Explorer - Tools - View? Look at the first option, "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and if not already, UNtick it and restart explorer.

Reaction score
No Draceena, there is not on Windows 7. At least not on my version.
I had this in XP but on my new pc with Windows 7 it is no longer there.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Dave.
The very first place I looked when I was faced with the problem, was in Tools and View, and the suggested option.
I did uncheck the "always show icon, never thumbnails" option. It made no difference.
In the meantime I have also been in contact with others worldwide on the photosite. All of them who run Windows 7 have the same problem and have not been able to find a solution.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I actually joined the site yesterday and if I choose UPLOAD YOUR PHOTOS and then hit the BROWSE button I get an upload window exactly as I posted above so unless you take a photo of what it is you get different then I don't know how I can help you.

EDIT: Hmm, I may know what you mean ... after you actually pick one from your folder there is a spot marked preview on their upload screen but no previews are actually there. I also tried this with a different browser called FireFox and in Firefox you don't see any previews either but the message that says preview is also suppressed, so maybe this functionality has been removed or requires a browser add-in. This is controlled by the site and how they code their pages. If you used to see your pics there after selection then I would suggest you post a message in their Fotothing Help forum asking if previews on their upload page have been removed or if you need an ActiveX script or something to make it work in IE8 under Windows 7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The above problem is still unresolved:)
I am waiting for a reply from the photo blog site.
It is not a major problem.
I guess that after always having had the ability of a preview, not having it now is more of an annoyance than anything else.
But it has my curiosity peaked, so we continue to try and find a solution:):)

Reaction score
After many hours trying..I have found the solution for this problem

On the site you wish to upload to:

go to your IE7 or IE8 menu Tools > choose >Internet Options click on the >Security tab
click on the big "check" >Trusted Sites , click on the "button" that says >Sites
If the box is checked > "Require server verification (https)....." then uncheck the box
In the line that says "Add this website to the zone"
>type URL for the site
>click "Add this site"
If the box is unchecked > "Require server verification (https....." then check the box
Click > Close
Click >Ok

Last edited:

Ask a Question