Please help 0xc00000e9

Reaction score
ok I keep getting this code, after readng other threads I think that I unplugged the external hard drive while it was still transferring pics. I have been doing restore and recovery stuff all weekend without any success I know have windows up in safe mode, what do I do next?? I am using win7 home premium edition on an hp g61 laptop. Please please please help :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless your OS is on the external drive and was messed up when you unplugged then I don't see what it would have to do with this error.

Do you have a system repair disk? Put it in the computer and boot to it and let it repair.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
ok I keep getting this code, after readng other threads I think that I unplugged the external hard drive while it was still transferring pics. I have been doing restore and recovery stuff all weekend without any success I know have windows up in safe mode, what do I do next?? I am using win7 home premium edition on an hp g61 laptop. Please please please help :)
How often is this error message showing up? Every time you start the computer?

I found this possible fix from the Social Answers Page at MS.

This issue can be caused by the damaged system files or hardware device.
Step 1: First you may try to disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB drives, etc...) except mouse and the keyboard and then try to boot up.

If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

Step 2:
You may try a Startup repair booting from the full version Disc and check whether you can resolve the issue.

[FONT="]
1. Insert the installation disc.[/FONT]

[FONT="]
2. After inserting the disc restart the computer. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. [/FONT]

[FONT="]Note:[/FONT][FONT="] If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.[/FONT]
[FONT="]
3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.[/FONT]

[FONT="]
4. Click Repair your computer.[/FONT]

[FONT="]
5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.[/FONT]

[FONT="]
6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.[/FONT]

[FONT="]For more information you may refer the following links:[/FONT][FONT="] Startup repair:[/FONT][FONT="] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions[/FONT]

If the issue still persists, then you may try a System Restore booting from the disc:

1. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.

2. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

3. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the restore point prior to this issue.

4. Click Finish to restore the system
The above info pertains to Vista but it's the same fix in Windows 7 too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get this issue every time, I don't have any system repair disks :( and I have tried the system recovery without any results

Ask a Question