PC delays on shut down

Reaction score
My PC, running on Windows7, takes long to shut down (more than 3 minutes). It is frustrating. How can I solve the problem ? Installed memory in the PC is 4GB. Thanks for helping me

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
One of the most common reasons for slow shutdown is that the machine has a lot of software installed that run in the background, i.e. Steam, Skype, Messenger, Vuze, etc.

If you're not adverse to editing the registry (not for the faint of heart, and to be done with caution) and tend to close documents and applications before initiating shutdown, then you can read this article for some good tips on speeding up the process.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
One of the most common reasons for slow shutdown is that the machine has a lot of software installed that run in the background, i.e. Steam, Skype, Messenger, Vuze, etc.
That is true but Windows 7 will toss up a popup that says it is waiting for this program or that program close in those cases.

My "guess" is you have a piece of hardware (or corresponding driver) that is hung up. Or perhaps a now missing networked drive or no-longer-attached USB device Windows thinks is still there, like a Flash drive. Of maybe a hung print job.

Ask a Question