Organizing photos - Highlight & Drag

JBG

Reaction score
Hi,

Real simple one hopefully but has got me miffed:

I have a number of pictures/pics in a folder and I want to rearrange them around by highlighting them, and then dragging into place.

Currently they are default organizing by name (e.g. photo 1, photo 2, photo 3 etc). If not by name, then by Date or Size etc.

In Windows XP I just simply highlighted and dragged the photos into the new order I wanted them to sit. However in Windows 7 I am unable to do this at the moment.

Please help !!

Jason

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In windows explorer, if you go to details view you can sort by any column and you can include extra columns by right-clicking in one of the existing column headings. You can sort by any of these displayed columns with a left-click, clicking again reverses ascending to descending and visa versa. Once sorted this way, if you return to icon view it will still be sorted this way.

I know this isn't what you are asking for, you just want to drag them, but it's the closest I can find at the moment. The libraries feature is supposed to provide for all types of sorting but you basically want a way to turn off the sorting and I just don't know if it's possible.

Reactions: JBG

JBG

Reaction score
Okay. Well that's a bummer to hear. Cheers though for replying *thanked*

*Bump* (hoping someone else might have a solution)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This is not an ideal option either but one of the fields you can add to your columns is called Tags. Now if you right-click on your photos and choose properties ... details tab, you can put in any tag you want so if you put in P1000, P1010, P1100, P4000, etc you could then sort by that field.

There are Tag editors out there including freeware options that may facilitate editing this field in-mass, ie a folder or more at a time. But I have never seen nor needed such a thing for photos; the tags tend to be used most commonly by sound files, example mp3 and I have and use one for this purpose, but you would need to search to see if one exists to suit your specific need.

Last edited:

Ask a Question