SOLVED odity with memory

Reaction score
ok so have this tower i upgraded from vista x64 to 7 x 64 my main problem is previously it recognized that there was 6 gig of mem now it wont recognize over 3.25 gigs of mem >.< im clueless on what to do about it, any help would be great ^-^

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi reikal,
I can't tell for sure what the problem is, but try looking in the BIOS to see how much ram it see's.
I'll be able to help you further if I know what the BIOS shows up in RAM.
I suppose you know how to boot into the BIOS? If not, reboot your PC, and when you see something appear on your screen, you'll see something like "Press F2 for settings". Press the key that is said as soon as possible before the Windows boot, and you'll be in the BIOS.
Then just navigate the tabs and you'll see the computer infos in one of them.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If your BIOS is showing all of your RAM, then it's within the operating system.

Are you sure you installed Windows 7 x64? Did you buy the retail version? It comes with two discs, one for 32 bit and the other for 64 bit. You may have installed the 32 bit by mistake because it will only show 3.2GB of RAM or so, no more!

Right click on "Computer" and then "Properties" if your currently installed OS is x64 it will show as the following:

Reaction score
1. Press WINDOWS KEY + R
3. Type MSCONFIG
4. Press ENTER
5. Go to the BOOT TAB
6. Hit ADVANCED OPTIONS...
7. Check the MAXIMUM MEMORY BOX
8. Enter 6144
9. Hit okay as many times as you need to until you're prompted to reboot, then check if 6GB is seen.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It looks like another OP has flown the coop!

Reaction score
right so now that my laptops stable i can post on whats going on with my tower lol; figured out the over all problem... i'm beaten at the moment by a weak power supply; as for main questions, the bios is showing the six installed gigs of mem; but not more then a two sticks is actually getting power once the graphics card and hard drives come online from what i can tell; so windows is acting really weird about the memory with this issue >.< ill be fixing that in a week or so on my next check lol; oh yeah its showing 3.75 gigs of mem in windows now, yoinked out the sound card <.<;;; kinda how i figured out the power supply was pwning me

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Good job! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Ask a Question