Not enough RAM

Reaction score
Is it possible to run Windows 7 on 1GB of RAM? My Eee PC netbook is very slow and seems to have no free memory.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
1GB is the minimum recommended for 32-bit W7, 64-bit requests 2GB.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As TM noted, the minimum recommended for 32-bit Windows 7 is 1 Gb. That is enough for Windows, but just barely. That means there is very little left for your other applications and that means Windows and your CPU will be forced to use the Page File frequently, and that will affect performance - even with an SSD drive.

Unfortunately, netbooks by their very nature have very limited resources, and typically do not provide any upgrade options. This is a major reason netbooks have not been successful.

In other words, you are probably stuck with what you got. :( I would make sure use Windows Disk Cleanup to clear out the clutter, and uninstall any programs you installed but don't need to free up as much space and resources as possible.

Reaction score
Windows 7 will not run in standard manner as it normally does untill you add an extra RAM to your PC. You can alternatively use ReadyBoost feature by adding USB device to your PC and select option Speed up my system from the autoplay screen.

Good Luck though!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
oliver, netbook RAM can't always be upgraded. They are designed to run at a minimum and shouldn't be expected to handle intense processing but they should work fine for basic note-taking, etc.

Using a USB flash drive with readyboost though, could potentially help.

Ask a Question