No Sound

Reaction score
I bought my Windows 7 about four weeks ago. The sound has stopped working on my computer today and I don't know why.

The computer seems to think that it has sound. The green bar on the sound's system tray bounces up and down upon me playing music.

I have tried the following with no avail:

• Troubleshooting
  • Scanning the computer for viruses
  • Searching forums
  • Updating the driver (It said it's up to date already)
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling the driver
  • This: [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]8hcXVasCbNY[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - how to fix no audio in windows 7[/ame]
  • Using System Restore to turn time back a day earlier

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you checked the cables & the power supply to the speakers?
Pull the jack out of the back of the computer and plug it into an MP3 player, radio, etc and verify the speakers are still working properly.
When you plug it back in, verify it is in the right output jack rather than mic or in, etc.

Have you rebooted?

When you right-click on the speaker icon in the notification (system) tray, if you have mixer or vol control options select it and make sure the correct boxes/defaults are set. Right-click again and pick Playback devices, choose your speakers and select "configure". Try the test.

Reaction score
" Pull the jack out of the back of the computer and plug it into an MP3 player, radio, etc and verify the speakers are still working properly."

It's a laptop; there's no jack. I'm sorry I forgot to verify that.

I've rebooted the computer a number of times with no change.

The test shows the green bar going up and down but no sound comes out of the speakers.

Reaction score
Is there any kind of physical volume control on the laptop? Like a dial a normal radio would have?

Try plugging in headphones to the output jack and see if you hear anything.

Make sure in the system tray volume control, it's not on mute. Hit the mixer and make sure anything important isn't muted either.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's turned up and nothing is muted.

It took me a while to find a working pare, but, surprisingly enough, I can hear the sound though the headphones. As soon as I unplug them, though, the laptop goes silent.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Yeah, it's turned up and nothing is muted.

It took me a while to find a working pare, but, surprisingly enough, I can hear the sound though the headphones. As soon as I unplug them, though, the laptop goes silent.
This is known in the UK as "don't annoy your fellow train passengers with your (to them) crappy taste of music!! ;)
Must admit I've had this problemo on a borrowed lappy when train travelling and never did find out why.
Doesn't help your problem but I'd also like to know why.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Go to the Control Panel, Sound, Playback tab, see what it's showing. "Speakers" should be one that's showing. IF not, right-click and choose: Show Disabled Devices. That may be it.

Once "Speakers" is showing, click on the Configure button in the lower left corner and click it, then choose "Test" and see what happens.

Ask a Question