SOLVED No Sound - 82801Ji HD audio controller

Reaction score
Habing just re-installed Windows 7 (Home Premium), I find there is no sound output anywhere (tried Windows Media Player sample tunes, Pinnacle Studio video editor).

No problem with original W7 install, or if boot up e.g. Linux.

The sound card is an onboard Intel 82801Ji HD audio controller.

Any suggestions as to how to recover sound would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
Habing just re-installed Windows 7 (Home Premium), I find there is no sound output anywhere (tried Windows Media Player sample tunes, Pinnacle Studio video editor).

No problem with original W7 install, or if boot up e.g. Linux.

The sound card is an onboard Intel 82801Ji HD audio controller.

Any suggestions as to how to recover sound would be much appreciated!
I have tried getting device Manager to 'Update driver", but it reports "The driver is up to date".

Driver is: MSoft 13/7/2009, version 6.1.7600.163855, location: Internal HD audio bus, and "working properly".

Volume is 100%.

Anyone any ideas/suggestions, please?

Reaction score
I have just installed nearly 60 W7 updates, but still no sound;
Windows 7 remains SILENT.
(But if I click on the loudspeaker icon in the Panel, I can see the sound indicator pulsating during playback of Windows Media Player sample music.)

It's not the hardware or connections (normal sound if I boot up Linux).

Reaction score
Hi maurice99

Which computer and or motherboard do you have?

Have you checked for optional updates from Windows Update? Allot of times Windows Update will work fine for correcting issues.

Reaction score
If I R.click on the Volume icon on the Taskbar/Panel, and select Output Devices', should there be a 'speakers' entry there? (There isn't; just 2 copies of HD Audio icon).

Reaction score
Hi maurice99

Which computer and or motherboard do you have?

Have you checked for optional updates from Windows Update? Allot of times Windows Update will work fine for correcting issues.
It's a RYO PC with an ASUS P5QL/EPU motherboard; Intel Quad Q8300 2.50GHz with 4GB RAM.

Have recently installed ALL the updates on offer from WIndows Update...

I've tried uninstalling the Intel sound card, then doing Check Hardware, which found the sound card and installed a driver - but still no sound whatsoever...:(

Reaction score
Have you downloaded and installed audio drivers from ASUS P5QL/EPU?
I took a look at that web site. The latest Wy audio driver they show is 6.0.1.7400 dated 2009/9/18, whereas the driver curently installed is (Device Manager says) 6.1.7600.16385 dated 2009/7/13.

Worth updating?!

If so, will try later today (as estimated d/l time is shown at over1 hour).

Reaction score
SOLVED

....the driver curently installed is (Device Manager says) 6.1.7600.16385 dated 2009/7/13.
Found the ASUS support DVD that came with the PC, and got Device Manager to update the audio driver from that.

Result: Sound is now working!

- and the Volume icon's 'Replay' options now include 'speakers' (which I had to mark as 'default' to get the sound out). I would not have realised that had to be done if I hadn't seen one lone comment somewhere when I Googled for the problem.

(So the W7 installer simly didn't pick the right driver, for a bog-standard Intel onboard audio card - whereas with PCLInuxOS and Mandriva sound worked right out of the box...)

Many thanks to all for your kind responses; much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question