SOLVED New grahics card driver install advice wanted

Reaction score
I am preparing to replace my video card from the stock Ge7300LE that came with my Dell E521, with a new PNY Ge9800GT. I am running legal Win7 Home Premium.I consider myself an intermediate user, so the actual card changeout and working inside the case is no problem Any advice about changing the drivers is appreciated. I plan to remove the old drivers in safe mode, shut down and install the new card, then reboot in safe mode to install the new drivers. After all is installed, go to regular boot to Win7 and check/adjust settings.
Sound like I'm on the right track. Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi timflan - Welcome to w7forums

Looks good to me. :)

You may however be able to do all this in Windows normal mode. I hardly ever use safe mode. I use safe mode in the event of problems.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Some Graphics Drivers wont install in Safe Mode you would do better uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new drivers in normal running of the OS (and do disable your AV / Spyware for the install of the new drivers).

Reaction score
Sounds good; normal boot

I just wasn't sure what would happen if I uninstalled the current card drivers while they were in use in normal mode. Apparently that's possible? What sequence and steps do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Un-install the driver, then turn the computer off to make the switch. It's pretty easy and straight forward. Once the switch has been completed boot back into normal mode and install the new drivers.

I must point out that the same drivers detect many different cards. If you already have the same drivers needed for the new card, there is no need in un-installing. Simply switch cards and reboot.

Reaction score
Will do

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully you won't hear my cries of anguish way up there from Texas! I'll be doing it this evening after work. The old card is a 7300LE 256MB that came from Dell and is about two years old, so I'll be using the CD that came with the new 9800GT 1GB and then checking online for the newest drivers.
And away we go...................!

Reaction score
Well, all went well. Up and running, just down to tweaking it a bit. Quite painless. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question