SOLVED Missing Ram

Reaction score
I did a reformat and install of win 7 64 bit but it only detects half of my ram.
The system screen shows installed memory (ram) 3.99g there should be 8g (2, 4g duals). How do i get it to detect all of my ram.
My Motherboard is an EVGA Intel P55 express Chipset. model: 120-LF-E650 if that helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
is your processor 64 bit check it because 32 bit processor always halt 64 bit window and the graphics seem to be effected sometimes

Reaction score
how can i tell if its 32/64?
its a Quad, intel i5 750

From intels site and the package it came in it says instruction set 64bit, if thats what you ment.
I tried with one ram stick in and i get 1.99g its like its ignoring the 2nd channels on the ram. (and yes they are installed in the correct slots)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would verify your RAM i properly seated in the sockets and also check that your motherboard supports the RAM you have in the slots you have it; sometimes RAM should be in every other slot. I'm not an expert at RAM & MBs but someone else may be able to tell you for two 4GB sticks in a EVGA Intel P55 express Chipset. model: 120-LF-E650

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
All of Intel's CPUs these days are 64-bit except for the Atom CPU, if I'm not mistaken.

Sounds to me that it "may" be a seating issue, ensure that both the locking tabs are fully engaged on each stick. In the past I have found that it may help if you seat and remove the RAM sticks a couple times or more and then seat them and see what your BIOS tells you about your total available RAM.

If you're still having problems, you possibly have a bad motherboard. You might try them in another computer to be sure that the sticks are good and reporting the correct gigabytes as stated.

Also, have you made sure the RAM is the correct RAM for your motherboard and that it's compatible? Some of the high-density RAM has been known to cause issues.

Try what I suggested and see what results you get and let us know.

Reaction score
It isnt a seating issue, but i did bring my pc in to a shop. Unfortunately I have faulty Ram and faulty MB RAM slots :(
Free replacements tho

But i did find out that motherboard holds a max up to 16G RAM (4DIMM dual DDR3 up to 1600MHz
Thanks for all your help

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It isnt a seating issue, but i did bring my pc in to a shop. Unfortunately I have faulty Ram and faulty MB RAM slots :(
Free replacements tho
I am glad you were able to get your issues resolved without any extra expense on your part. It is very rare that you would wind up with both bad RAM and defective DIMM slots on the motherboard. Sounds like the computer store which assembled your system has great policies and customer service.

Of course, all RAM carries a lifetime warranty, regardless of manufacturer. Regarding motherboards, that's a different story though.

Let us know how the R&R went for you and if the system is back to 100%.

The one poster who mentioned the CPU and such was not on target. We hope that didn't confuse you any.

Ask a Question