Microsoft Office 97

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if Office 97 run on Windows 7 Home Premium?

Thanks.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
celser, welcome to the fourms! I've done some searching, it doesn't look promising that Office 97 is compatible with Windows 7. If there is any chance, it will be with 32 bit Windows 7. If it doesn't work, you can install XP within a VM, that may work. It's just that it is an older program, and there's a lot that doesn't work with Windows 7. I do hope that you get your program going, or find one that will work for you. Should you need further help, post back anytime.

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt answer. Please tell me,: 1) If I get Office 2007, will I have a problem running it on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit? 2) Will my Office 97 files run on Office 2007 and Windows 7 64 bit?

Thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt answer. Please tell me,: 1) If I get Office 2007, will I have a problem running it on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit? 2) Will my Office 97 files run on Office 2007 and Windows 7 64 bit?

Thanks.
You'll have no problem running Office 2007 on Windows 7, whether its 32 or 64 bit. I running it on 64 bit with no problems and is very fast.

Yes, your Office 97 files will be compatible with both. Office 2007 also gives you the option of saving any new documents to be compatible with the previous Office releases.

Reaction score
Thanks again, and, if you don't mind, a couple of questions more: 1) I've been told, probably wrongly, that Windows 7 comes with Microsoft Office or it can be downloaded for free, but I don't think it's possible, otherwise no one would buy it separately. Therefore, the OS Windows 7 itself that will come with my new PC will not offer Office 2007 for free, and the Office package must be purchased separately. No free lunch, do you agree? 2) I use Outlook Express from my service provider, and I was told Windows 7 uses "Windows Mail". My service provider said it will help me to convert to Outlook Express once my new PC is installed. Therefore, if I don't buy Office 2007 Basic which comes with Word, Excel, and Outlook Express in the package, it has nothing to do with my continuing to use Outlook Express as provided by my service provider, right? Thanks again.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
!. I am using Office 2007 with 64 and 32Bit. So far I have not exeeprienced any problems.
2. Office does not come free with the OS, but the the retailer of your new PC may have put the time bombed Demo on the hard disk.
3. Windows Mail is no longer included in the Windows 7 package, but yhe "Windows Live", package, which include Windows Live Mail, is free to download. (You could do so now, it is not Windows 7 specific)
It is superior to OE and if you service provider is willing to help you cross over from OE, then that is normally the only problem when converting.
Fwiw. I don't think OE has ever come as part of an Office package?? Perhaps you are thinking of Microsoft Outlook, which is yet another (very good) mail program.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks again, and, if you don't mind, a couple of questions more: 1) I've been told, probably wrongly, that Windows 7 comes with Microsoft Office or it can be downloaded for free, but I don't think it's possible, otherwise no one would buy it separately. Therefore, the OS Windows 7 itself that will come with my new PC will not offer Office 2007 for free, and the Office package must be purchased separately. No free lunch, do you agree? 2) I use Outlook Express from my service provider, and I was told Windows 7 uses "Windows Mail". My service provider said it will help me to convert to Outlook Express once my new PC is installed. Therefore, if I don't buy Office 2007 Basic which comes with Word, Excel, and Outlook Express in the package, it has nothing to do with my continuing to use Outlook Express as provided by my service provider, right? Thanks again.
Office doesn't come with Windows 7, but some OEM's bundle it in with their computers. I have it, and receive updates for it. That may be where your source of information came from, someone may have bought a computer with it preinstalled, and assumed it came with Windows 7.

Ask a Question