laptop stops respondin if left alone!!!!

Reaction score
hi there!
my toshiba laptop running windows 7 ,works 100% all the time i type ,web browsing,watching movies etc etc. but if i leave it running on its own,i.e downloading for about 30 minutes +,when i come back to it and try to use it the icon moves about the screen,and i can use capslock,numberslock etc ,but nothing on the screen will highlight and i cant access anything at all!!!!!!!!

BUT if i leave a movie playing (vlc player,media player etc)and minimised then the laptop will respond properly even i leave alone for hours !!!!

why is this please??
driving me mad!!

Reaction score
Sounds like there is a problem with your sleep mode/hibernation/screen saver

check what you have them set at,

also check your device manager that everything is ok.

would go with TorrentG as updating your driver's will hopefully sort the issue out.

Reaction score
hi guys!
all my drivers ok, and i had screensaver= never hibernation=never sleep- never
but i went into advanced power settings and it was set at "turn hard disck off after 20mins" so i have set that to never now...
but if it was that surely there should be a way to bring it back on with some sort of keypress!!??
i have to hold down power button and switch of laptop completely as nothing else works!!
thanks for all your help lets hope it was the hard disc off setting

Reaction score
Change your power plan settings for har disk - start menu then type - powercfg.cpl

or control panel power plan settings - advanced power plan settings.

need to logged in as administrator though

Last edited:
Reaction score
hi guys!
left laptop only downloading/uploading (vuze) ,came back ,curser moves but nothing works!!! this is crazy! still the same.
only thing seems to work is to leave a movie running on a loop minimised!!!!!!!!!!!
surley i am not the only person who is having this problem of windows crashing.
i did power plan advanced settings for hard disk,as i said did hibernation,sleep!!
what else can i do!
and why is it if i leave any sort of movie player running,it wont crash???
please help
thanks million

Reaction score
Try this for now, in command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. let it run and do its thing see if comes back ok.

Reaction score
Try this for now, in command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. let it run and do its thing see if comes back ok.

hi thanks!
tried that but it says must be administrator running a console session!!
i am the only person on my laptop and i am adminstrator, how do i enable it when in cmd promt?
thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Run as Administrater, right click should have option at the top or 2nd one down.

Reaction score
done scan and got this result

windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaied them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

does this sound like it will fix my problem??
thanks

Reaction score
Probably not, but it was excellent advice and a great step in the right direction.

So reboot if you haven't done so yet and see how it goes.

Reaction score
hi guys!
done all what was said but sadly still the same.
im well confused.
looks like i will just have to leave a movie file playing and minumised.
unless someone else has found a solution to this problem ,im surley not the only person who has this problem
thanks again

Ask a Question