Kicked back to desktop while playing games

Reaction score
Hello all, if anyone can help with this problem or give insight it would be greatly appreciated.

I just recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit; formatted the hard drive and everything.

The problem is while I'm playing my games (Mass Effect, Starcraft II), I'll get kicked back to the desktop. The game won't freeze, it just sends me back to the desktop, then I'll have to click on the icon on the taskbar to resume playing. The time it does this varies. I might be 10 minutes into playing or over an hour, but I always get kicked to the desktop. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows of a solution.

I've already read some information with game related problems with Windows 7. For Mass Effect, I already used the compatibility option and run it as an admin. It also has the latest patch from Bioware. For Starcraft II, I have the latest patch.

These are the specs for my system:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (not overclocked)
Clock Speed: 2670 MHz
Physical Memory: 4.00 GB
Display Adapter: 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (latest driver dated 7/9/2010)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi.

It could be from a bad Gadget you have installed.
If not, then another running process you have on the machine is causing it. Close all unnecessary apps with task manager, then play a game to test.
Check scheduled tasks that nothing is going on.
Also look in the Event Manager for anything related at the times this happens.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The only gadgets I was using was the weather and cpu & ram meter, but I already stopped using them last night, and I still had the same problem today while playing. The only other application that I have running in the background is the Microsoft Security Essentials, but I'm pretty sure I was already having the same problem before I installed that. Any other ideas?

Ask a Question